Too cold starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used 1/2 cup DME 1300ml water. boiled about 15-20 minutes (boiled down to 1000ml). I have it on an unheated stir plate. Not much is going on with the starter, no krausen. This is my first starter with a stir plate. My house is about 65 degrees.

How long has it been on the stir plate? 65 degrees should be warm enough, but warming it up a bit will speed things up.
I usually don't get a krausen with my starters, just a patch of bubbles that spins around the whirlpool in the center. If that happens overnight I miss seeing it completely.

65 is just fine, taking also into account that all stir plates give off a little heat so the starter will probably be a couple of degrees warmer.
Just be patient and wait (you don't say how long it's been since you pitched BTW) but also be prepared for the occasional dud. Liquid yeast is alive and as such it can die if stored for too long or exposed to temperature extremes. In seven years of brewing I've had 4-5 starters that never actually started, the advantage of making a starter is that it will save you from the effort of brewing only to find out that your yeast was dead.

P.S. I find that the best indicator of a succesful starter is smell. If it didn't start then it will keep on smelling like extract wort with a whiff of (presumably dead) yeast added to it. If it started then when it's done it will totally smell like pizza dough with no trace of the wort aroma.

Last edited:
It smells good. It has been 20 hours. I bought a bunch of really nice used brewing equipment and this is my first foray into a stir plate. I am excited to use it all today for the first time, a little apprehensive because it is a 15 gallon conical for a 6 gallon batch.

How long has it been on the stir plate? 65 degrees should be warm enough, but warming it up a bit will speed things up.
I usually don't get a krausen with my starters, just a patch of bubbles that spins around the whirlpool in the center. If that happens overnight I miss seeing it completely.

You usually won't see much action with a starter on a stirplate. If you hold a flashlight to the flask you should see tiny bubbles rising. At 68-70 degrees 18 - 24 hours is all you need on a stirplate. At 65 I might give it a little longer. Also take into account the age of the yeast. If older, leave it on the stirplate longer. You can also look for the color change. It should change to a creamy opaque color. Like coffee with a lot of milk.

Update: getting ready to pitch and my yeast smells like a combo of yeast/bread and rotten eggs? what do you think? Not enough Co2 escaped? Always to freaked out by the bug/ace bac.

Last edited:
The sulfur smell is probably just from the somewhat low temperature.

Latest posts

Back