Tom Roeder's Dry Yeast vs Liquid Yeast Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most likely scenario, is that the results are mixed, meaning one isnt superior than the other, but that they produce different beers and different people have different preferences. If that wasnt the case then we would all prefer the same beer style.

The most likely conclusion is that the probability of type I error will be something massive, like 35%, but nobody will have the discipline to not try to draw conclusions anyway.

That is most likely because it almost always happens.

ETA: almost always happens because the sample sizes are almost always ridiculously small. Most panels for triangle tests in industry are 20+ people.

The most likely conclusion is that the probability of type I error will be something massive, like 35%, but nobody will have the discipline to not try to draw conclusions anyway.

ETA: almost always happens because the sample sizes are almost always ridiculously small. Most panels for triangle tests in industry are 20+ people.

He's just upset he didn't get a beer in the mail :) Only kidding.

I watched about 40 min of video and read 40 some posts with a bunch of people getting pissy and NO PAY OFF!!!! DAMN IT which is which, just tell me I wont say anything.

I love this site.

Primary vs. Secondary
"I did this at first now I do this and my beer is clearer, cleaner and better tasting."
Someone responds you just became a better brewer overtime and there is no difference.

Compare oxygenation vs airation
"Someone gets personal because you didn't own a lab to test the dissolved oxygen to the hundreth decimal and that oxygenation is useless outside a lager and you should just shake.

Same strain different company (Dry vs Liquid)
Someone is upset that you didn't spend 100x the money and time to rebrew it in 9x the same and 91x different , you didn't send it to the 1000 people required and that you're not doing it with the "the mind of reason".

What i wana know is were did you get a Sun King Growler if your in Nevada? Lol. I see your using it as your blow off.

I wish he would......
But I am glad to know that now I should consider US-05 and 1056 two different yeasts because no one who has tasted the beer yet has considered them the same beer.

I wish he would......
But I am glad to know that now I should consider US-05 and 1056 two different yeasts because no one who has tasted the beer yet has considered them the same beer.

The beers where not even remotely similar. I almost wish he didn't tell me why he wanted me to taste the two beers and just let me blindly perceive. I guess he set up the yeast A vs yeast B premise so that the tasting would be done in that context. The problem is, I know which beer I think is clearly better but I have no idea which yeast made it. I've made good beers with both.

I wish he would......
Did you consider them the same before, and if so why?
:confused:

It's probably not obvious to everyone but the guy running this thing is Tom Roeder and he hasn't posted in this thread yet.

As I said, I wasn't meaning to be an idiot but just stating the fact that there isn't going to be enough data to draw any definitive conclusions. But that being said it is awesome of him to do this and spend the time and cash to send it for tasting to folks he respects, so I'm quite interested in the results.

One thing I may have missed (or it was left out intentionally to not bias the tasters further) but did Tom mention what the FG's were, or at least if they finished the same?

If I had to make a guess it seems like the most likely outcome is going to be that the dry yeast resulted in what is being judged as the winner which also seems to be the one with more residual hop aroma and flavor. The main difference we have seen is that the US-05 took off slower and never really got as active so presumably it blew off less hop aromatics. It may have even been a degree or 2 cooler during the first 24-36 hours of fermentation. I'd also guess the US-05 finished with a slightly higher FG. Of course I could be totally wrong and it might all be the exact opposite.

I never thought I would hear anyone reference type I & type II errors after I got out of grad school.

well.. I'm hooked. I'll admit it, I've only ever used S-05. I hate making starters, I've made great beer with S-05 and enjoy the convenience. I tend to use liquid yeast for specialty stuff like belgians, hefe, lagers, etc. Lately I've thought I should at least try the 1056 and see which I prefer, so this is a timely thread at least to open my eyes that I could see a much more noticeable difference than I may have expected.

The beers where not even remotely similar. I almost wish he didn't tell me why he wanted me to taste the two beers and just let me blindly perceive. I guess he set up the yeast A vs yeast B premise so that the tasting would be done in that context. The problem is, I know which beer I think is clearly better but I have no idea which yeast made it. I've made good beers with both.

Thats been my experience with 1056 vs US05 so you actually might go 4/4 or whatever but I find these things rarely have reasonable significance because of tiny samples. Sean Terrill's pitching rate thing had a pretty fair sample size given the constraints people who can't hire a tasting panel have.

I never thought I would hear anyone reference type I & type II errors after I got out of grad school.

In the right crowd I would just say alpha (or beta but I did not actually reference type two error) which is clear enough given context but I figured "type I error" would give more fruitful google results if someone had no idea what I meant.

I did not mean to imply that one yeast makes better beer than the other, only that you will not get the same final beer using either of these yeasts as I had assumed before these videos.

Did you consider them the same before, and if so why?

I did consider US-05 and 1056 to be the same yeast before. I had heard they were both cultured from Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. I have used them both in my own beers before but never at the same time. Without comparing them side by side, I never thought that they weren't the same.

I stopped using S-05 because I don't like the flavor I get so I haven't considered them the same for a while. So I'm already biased. This post is really just a passive sub.

Go Nigel go!

My only issue with S-05 is that it gets such high attenuation. Otherwise I'd would probably use it exclusively outside of specialty styles. I've had no issues with undesirable flavors. For the same character and lower attenuation I typically look to WLP 001 or 007.

I definitely appreciate the simplicity of a dry yeast. I would not, however, expect a dry yeast and a liquid yeast of the same culture/strain to produce the same beer. I would expect this experiment to produce 2 remarkably different beers. I have no technical reasoning to add. I would just expect the dried form to go through an entirely different early stage of growth and therefore overall fermentation characteristic than the same yeast introduced as a liquid suspension (and never dried to begin with).

I've found dramatically different character between 1056/001 and US05. I'm generally borderline amazed when people say they don't. I may be doing something wrong but I pitch ostensibly the same amount of rehydrated dry vs a starter from liquid and use the same temperature scheme.

I can repeat the experiment with 40 members of a brew club evaluating the two samples. That certainly increases the sample size.

I've used both yeasts on the same recipe before, but I've never split the same batch and fermented in relatively controlled harmony like Tom has.

My only issue with S-05 is that it gets such high attenuation. Otherwise I'd would probably use it exclusively outside of specialty styles. I've had no issues with undesirable flavors. For the same character and lower attenuation I typically look to WLP 001 or 007.

Thanks for adding your personal experience. I find that quite interesting because, as Jake pointed out, both of Tom's beers had the same OG and FG, so they appeared to attenuate the same for his pale ale recipe. Were your beers a high gravity when you noticed the US-05 attenuating higher?

Thanks for adding your personal experience. I find that quite interesting because, as Jake pointed out, both of Tom's beers had the same OG and FG, so they appeared to attenuate the same for his pale ale recipe. Were your beers a high gravity when you noticed the US-05 attenuating higher?
I should qualify my statements with "I have never used a Wyeast of any variety".

Relative to what I was posting about; same beer at OG 1.068 attenuated to 1.022 with WLP 001 but 1.018 with US-05. The latter was too dry for my tastes and I preferred the lower attenuation of the WLP 001.

Edit: It's worth consideration that other properties of the yeast contributed to my impression than just the gravity difference but I attributed the overall perceived difference to the gravity.

I can repeat the experiment with 40 members of a brew club evaluating the two samples. That certainly increases the sample size.

I've used both yeasts on the same recipe before, but I've never split the same batch and fermented in relatively controlled harmony like Tom has.

Unless there is a Type I error, I don't really see the point of doing that. I really don't see the need for more than 3-4 respected pallets to taste this beer, at least for Tom's experiment. Had Tom's experiment produced two very similar beers, then I could see the "99 experiments" argument making some logical sense. But it appears that the beers are totally different.

It seemed to me (respectfully) that his brother and father had the most untrained pallets, and they still tasted the difference. The other three reviewers have homebrewer pallets. That's good enough for me.

I am willing to bet that Tom wouldn't have any different results whether he chose 4 respected tasters, or if he chose 40. of course, I didn't taste the beer, I am just going off of what I see on YouTube. :)

Unless there is a Type I error, I don't really see the point of doing that. I really don't see the need for more than 3-4 respected pallets to taste this beer, at least for Tom's experiment. Had Tom's experiment produced two very similar beers, then I could see the "99 experiments" argument making some logical sense. But it appears that the beers are totally different.

It seemed to me (respectfully) that his brother and father had the most untrained pallets, and they still tasted the difference. The other three reviewers have homebrewer pallets. That's good enough for me.

I think your second statement highlights the need to increase the sample size for a test of this nature. Even then, it probably boils down to personal preference. I'll use the info in this thread and with my own side by side experiment on my equipment to decide if there is enough of a difference between the dry and the 2 roughly equivalent liquid strains.

I did this years back when 05 first came out. There are differences, but I don't think they're huge differences.

I've found dramatically different character between 1056/001 and US05. I'm generally borderline amazed when people say they don't. I may be doing something wrong but I pitch ostensibly the same amount of rehydrated dry vs a starter from liquid and use the same temperature scheme.

totally agree. i'm always shocked when people say they can't tell any difference between them.

totally agree. i'm always shocked when people say they can't tell any difference between them.

Android or Remilard (or anyone with input)... What are the differences you are seeing (er, tasting) between the dry and liquid yeasts??

I'm a newcomer to dry yeasts (my LHBS directs you to the liquid with their kits, but since I've been doing HBT / my own recipes I've been trying out the dry). I certainly can't claim expertise in either.

Just curious what your experiences have been, generally speaking, between these commonly used yeasts.

I'm thinking about doing a taste experiment like this. Would the chance of a type 1 error be low enough if the sample size was just me or should I get my roommate to taste them too?

Android or Remilard (or anyone with input)... What are the differences you are seeing (er, tasting) between the dry and liquid yeasts??

I'm a newcomer to dry yeasts (my LHBS directs you to the liquid with their kits, but since I've been doing HBT / my own recipes I've been trying out the dry). I certainly can't claim expertise in either.

Just curious what your experiences have been, generally speaking, between these commonly used yeasts.
An apple/pear type of flavor (but not bitter apple/acetaldehyde) for me but just with S-05. With the liquid versions (1056/WLP001) I just get 'clean/neutral'. I've had pretty good luck with S-04, Nottingham, and W34/70.

Maybe that the flavor would be OK in certain styles but I don't know which one(s).

I'm thinking about doing a taste experiment like this. Would the chance of a type 1 error be low enough if the sample size was just me or should I get my roommate to taste them too?

IMO the sample size doesn't really matter. It's going to be all about what you think produces the superior beer (I mean you are going to be the one drinking most of it).

Type I error is a false positive basically. So in a difference test (you are trying to determine if you can tell the samples apart) it means the chance that the people who got the difference right did so by accident.

A common difference test which works with fairly small sample sizes in sensory analysis is the triangle test. Small in the professional sensory analysis world for this type of test means 20 people or so. In a triangle test you get three coded samples, 2 are the same and 1 is different. You are asked to pick the different sample. If you can't tell them apart, you are correct 1 time out of 3.

If you do this test with 2 people and you were both right, that would happen randomly 1 out of 9 times (1/3 * 1/3). That means that alpha (the probability of a type I error) is 1/9 which is fairly large. Usually alpha is below 1/20 (it should be declared before the test begins, it is the probability of type I error that you will find acceptable, not what you observed). If you have 4 people and all 4 get it right then you have alpha = 1/84, which is pretty good. The problem is, what if not everyone gets it right? Someone has a high threshold for some off flavor or is having a bad day etc. That's why you want a lot of people. 10 people picking the right odd sample out of 20 is much more convincing than 2 out of 4 or 1 out of 2. That is the problem with small sample sizes, 1 or 2 people miss and alpha explodes.

Now, I falsely thought this experiment was a difference test. I still haven't watched the videos (would rather watch them all at once), but it appears that only two samples were provided. So not a difference test but a consumer preference type test. Basically, tell me which qualities these two samples have and which you prefer. If only you and your roomate drink your beer, then that is the perfect sample size for you to say which techniques you prefer. If you are selling beer to thousands of people, or want to claim to the broader home brewing community that a certain ingredient or technique is better, then IMO you want a much larger sample size. Again 20 would be considered small if you approach this from the POV of what is ideal and professional breweries (big ones) and food companies will pay 20 people to participate. As homebrewers we have to get 20 volunteers and then pay maybe $8 each to ship the beer. That gets expensive (the pitching rate write up in the current Zymurgy that Sean Terrill did had a decent sample size, he had people interested enough in the experiment that they paid for their samples to be shipped, that is the way to go IMO).

I think the reasonable expectation of anyone running this type of thing is to just be clear about what they did. Misinterpretation of the results is the onus of the audience who cares to read about it. No one is being paid. Tom could have just as easily made a video of tasting the two beers by himself and making a claim to which yeast appears to produce a beer with these qualities "in his personal opinion". He went a step further and involved a few extra people to make it more meaningful to whoever deems it so. There's a significant difference between a youtube VLOG type channel and a brewing publication like Zymurgy and BYO as far as how scientifically accurate an experiment should be.

Latest posts

Back