Toilet doesn't flush fully

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamhoward

Reaction score
I am a new homeowner. My 2nd-floor toilet has recently started showing this problem where it often doesn't flush properly in a single attempt. It makes a weird gurgle sound or something close to it and doesn't flush fully.
When I flush again it does flush fully in the 2nd or 3rd attempts. Please suggest what could be the issue and how to resolve it. (It's a Saniflo Macerating Upflush Toilet)
Thanks!

Last edited:
We had a problem with one of our crappers not flushing properly. The fix was to soak the inside of the bowl with muriatic acid for a few hours.It had years worth of hard water deposits clogging the drain tube.

My guess is a loose handle or handle arm assembly. When you flush, the assembly is not being constrained appropriately and twists, meaning it can't pull up on the ball cock/flapper with correct force. That or something is up with the chain.

First thing to look for is if the handle is sitting properly. The face of the handle should be parallel to the face of the tank. It should have a solid fit in the talk hole with a small amount of up and down jiggle. It should not "twist" in and out more than a little if you pull out/push in on top of the handle.

Take the top off the tank. It will just lift off. Place it on a towel on the floor. This is not a "requirement", per se, but it keeps you from doing something stupid like balancing it on a vanity/seat and having it fall and crack. (NOTE: I do stupid stuff all the time).

There will be a lock nut on the inside of the tank for the handle where it passes through the tank wall. If it's not there, look for it along the arm and/or chain. Make sure the nut is installed properly and snug (doesn't need to be tightened hard, just hand snug).

EDIT: Unlike the water in the bowl, the water in the tank is clean water, having not been yet exposed to anything unsanitary. If you have to reach in to grab something that is in the water, you can then simply dry your hands/forearm afterward.

Last edited:
Is OP fishing in their toilet? and the ismellwierd thread too, not liking the smell of the bate..

Macerating toilets are for when effluent needs to be pumped because they are below sewage line, not needed on 2nd floor. Of course maybe the plumber is clueless and the electrician hooked the pump motor up backwards [;

Macerating toilets are for when effluent needs to be pumped because they are below sewage line, not needed on 2nd floor.

Not always the case. Macerating toilets can be added on higher floors or areas where it is impractical or impossible to install 4" or 6" waste pipe.
I think the problem lies in the upflush function and/or pump. The pumping/milling cavity may empty out and lose prime.

I am a new homeowner. My 2nd-floor toilet has recently started showing this problem where it often doesn't flush properly in a single attempt. It makes a weird gurgle sound or something close to it and doesn't flush fully.
When I flush again it does flush fully in the 2nd or 3rd attempts. Please suggest what could be the issue and how to resolve it. (It's a Saniflo Macerating Upflush Toilet)
Thanks!
I am surprised that nobody has asked for a water chemistry report yet. My first thought is that this is a hard water problem and you're having some mineralisation build up around your ball flapper. Alternatively there could be calcification or buildup in the tank valve itself. This would explain why your first flush is weak and your subsequent flush is sufficient to make everything go down. Your ball flapper is probably slowly leaking water as the tank sets which diminishes the overall first flush volume but when you make your second flush you have not had sufficient time to lose water from the tank and you have a full volume flush.

The simplest cheapest route replace your ball flapper probably runs five five to ten bucks. However if I'm going to go into my tank, I'm probably just going to replace the entire valve assembly. That runs 15 maybe 20 bucks at the most should take about 20 minutes to change.

Latest posts

Back