Today's score

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I told you guys earlier about the hops I was offered.. went today to pick them with my son. I bet we left ten times what we picked because we missed em by about a week. They were dry and falling apart so we picked only the ones holding together well. we picked NINE POUNDS of hops in no time. The gus wife dug me several pieces of root stock and told me to come back next year and load up again. I hope mine take off. hre are some pics.

IMG00379-20101007-1056.jpg

THIS IS JUST A SMALL SECTION OF WHAT HE HAS. ALL FROM ONE PLANT HE CLAIMS.

IMG00381-20101007-1305.jpg

COVERED WITH HOPS JUST LIKE THIS

IMG00380-20101007-1256.jpg

TWO KITCHEN GARBAGE BAGS ..ONE FULL ONE ALMOST FULL

IMG00382-20101007-1312.jpg

NINE-5 GALLON PAINT STRAINER BAGS TO HOLD EM FOR DRYING AND MOST OF THOSE RE TO FULL. i WILL HAVE TO GET MORE...
I was also gifted another 5 gallon carboy and some kind of a 2-3 gallon looking glass carboy ( tall and skinny) that is PYREX....or at least it says PYREX on the side. They are grungy dirty but I have cleaned up worse.

I live in Steamboat Springs, CO where we have long winters. What is the ideal conditions for hopes to grow? Does it depend on the type? How about space? Will a small garden work?

I figured I could plant early Springs and by mid-late summer pick before snow falls.

I have no idea about growing them. The guy I got them from owns a nursery and he nd his wife told me to put em in the ground and let em grow. She said you hve to try to kill em. I have no idea what these REALLY are but they are SUPPOSED to be cascade hops. I think I will do two smash brews using cascade pellets and these and see if they taste the same.

I live in Steamboat Springs, CO where we have long winters. What is the ideal conditions for hopes to grow?

Somewhere with shorter winters...my hopes and dreams seem to fade around february.

Lol, sorry, too good to pass up!

Wow you totally scored!
Will you bring them by a sample of the end product?

Absolutely..His wife likes sweet wines and he likes beer so I am gonna brew up a batch of beer with his hps and take him most of it ( if it is good) and take her some botles of wine I have.

I have no idea about growing them. The guy I got them from owns a nursery and he nd his wife told me to put em in the ground and let em grow. She said you hve to try to kill em. I have no idea what these REALLY are but they are SUPPOSED to be cascade hops. I think I will do two smash brews using cascade pellets and these and see if they taste the same.

I wonder how you’re going to use them. Don't they have to be pelletized before for use? :drunk: But you most definitively totally scored!

Fresh hop harvest ale last year was a hit. No grassy flavor.

No wait, phuck that. This has been jacked by a noob.

Excellent score!!!

Yeah sorry about the threadjack, wish hops grew in this climate.

Don't you get 24 hour sun at some point?

You need some sort of tall cylindrical greenhouse......

*the jack was whether or not fresh hops could be brewed with, the hops growing is a mild enough tangent to not warrant a jacking label*

Don't you get 24 hour sun at some point?

You need some sort of tall cylindrical greenhouse......

*the jack was whether or not fresh hops could be brewed with, the hops growing is a mild enough tangent to not warrant a jacking label*

Sunlight doesn't do much good when everything's frozen.

AHHGH! another thread jack!

Obviously not.

Dang, I need to start remembering no posting until I've had my morning energy drink. (sorry for being snappy)

There are a few breweries that have yearly or bi-yearly releases of beers made with hops picked fresh, and never dried.
Such as Sierra Nevada:
http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/harvest.html
They have a brew thats fresh hops from the US and then they have another brew every year with hops that come from southern hemisphere hop farms.
Now, I don't think that I've ever sampled one that had been recently released.(I found both the northern and southern harvest beers for sale at the same time) I assume the hop flavor had dissipated allot, and I wasn't overly impressed, but then again, I'm not a big SN fan. So from my experience the fresh hop movement hasn't impressed me.
BUT
But there are lots of breweries that are making beers like that. Northern Brewer even offered wet hops for sale this year, I believe for the first time.
Also, I didn't really detect any grassiness in them. From my experience, the best way to make a beer taste grassy is to dry hop for too long.

I didn't take it as snappy.

Such direct assertions about a subject someone obviously knows nothing about deserve a little firm correction.

I didn't take it as snappy.

Such direct assertions about a subject someone obviously knows nothing about deserve a little firm correction.

Does this regard to my comment that hops have to be dried before use? Not sure... this thread is bouncing around, hard to say where it is going...

Does this regard to my comment that hops have to be dried before use? Not sure... this thread is bouncing around, hard to say where it is going...

Damn! Excellent use of the "EDIT" feature.;)

I was going to ignore version 1.0 of your comment.

Yes, your persistent assertion that hops MUST be dried to be used for brewing, and the subsequent thread jack, while people took time to correct you, was a little too persistent. Not that I haven't ever labored "persistently" under a flat out wrong conviction, oh no, but I appreciated those who corrected me in a memorable fashion.

So......, you are welcome.

Welcome to the forum.;)

Back