Today is the big day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One big problem I have, that I didn't realize until it was upon me, is that when I, shut off the flow of wort to take a sample and move to the second carboy, the wort level is down near the level of the welded fitting for the dip tube.. Thus, when I turn it back on, I have lost almost all pressure differential, and siphon activity..

How do you guys deal with this?

Do you use a split tube and siphon both at one, or just pull it out of the first carboy, and make a mess on the way to the second? Stopping the flow is what caused me all the problems..

get a cheap 3/8" y or t fitting and siphon to both fermenters at the same time, next time to keep that siphon flowing until the end.

you worry too much about the small stuff. a couple times will calm you down so you don't overwork yourself.. especially in the nerve department. you will make a good beer.. even with making a lot of mistakes at first, so don't worry about a thing

one thing to note is "never try to measure your gravity with a wort that is over 100*F" those correction temp charts are not accurate above 100*F

get a cheap 3/8" y or t fitting and siphon to both fermenters at the same time, next time to keep that siphon flowing until the end.

Should I put some sort of valve on each leg so that both carboys fill at the same rate, or will both be close enough without worrying about it?

one thing to note is "never try to measure your gravity with a wort that is over 100*F" those correction temp charts are not accurate above 100*F

Yeah, I hadn't much sleep the night before, and I was tired, and a storm was rolling in (winds messing with the flame big time) so I was staring to get kinda frazzled and started missing the obvious.. like holding the sample vessel under that ice cold water that runs out of my kitchen faucet this time of year... Simple solution I shouldn't have missed..

I'm glad I chronicled all this here.. It will come in handy to review before the next attempt... But I have a few issues to resolve first...

Curious about what hops you're using (and how much) for this brew...

I've been looking to make a strong pale ale, and this looks like a good (and simple) recipe... I'll be doing a 5 gallon batch, since that's all I'm currently set up for.

What's your OG after they rested overnight?

Sample is sitting on the counter still.. At room temp (68ish) it's right at 60

AMERICAN IPA
(for 10G)

Hops
3 oz magnum (60 mins)
4 oz cascade (10 mins)
4 oz cascade (1 min)

Grains
24 lbs 2 row
3 lbs Crystal 15L

Est OG: 1.060-64
Est SRM:7
Est IBU's: 81-85
Est ABV: 6%
Suggested ferment temp: 68

This is my first AG brew so I don't know how it's gonna compare to the extracts I've been doing.. But I've brewed several of the extract version of this beer and it's quite good...

I've typically used SA-04, but this last batch (I'm drinking now). I tried WL001..

In the batch I brewed last night, I'm going to pitch 04 in one and 05 in the other...

From my calculations, I hit about 64.6% efficiency on the mash...

Not great.. but I don't know what's typical for a first time masher... whether this is good for a first attempt or not...

you'll find that when brewing all grain you will get better hop utilization.. or that is at least what I experienced. Adjusting down some each batch until you find what is an equal to the extract version you are use to

you'll find that when brewing all grain you will get better hop utilization.. or that is at least what I experienced. Adjusting down some each batch until you find what is an equal to the extract version you are use to

So then, given equivalent hops schedules, this beer should be 'hoppier'? More bitterness, hop flavor, and aroma?

I think the bitterness will be more perceived

I don't think you can over-hop aroma or flavor additions IMHO. start smaller bitterness quanities and real big quanities towards the end is what I like

Pitched yeast and installed blow offs at 12:15pm

(might as well finish chronicling this adventure)
:mug:

Reading this thread brought a smile to my face. I remember when I started, there was no great forums like this one. Only the Homebrew Digest and Charlie's book. I studied and worried a lot (against Charlie's advice). I measured everything and prepared like crazy, recording everything, etc. I was in learning mode so this was natural. I got several hand fulls of AG sessions under my belt after a year or two, and I settled down. Then life brought changes and the beer gear went into storage for fifteen long years. That gear got very lonely in the shed.
Last September my friend pokes me in the ribs and says "go get your brew gear". I just chuckled and didn't take him seriously. Two months later my friend does it again, so I said "OK" with a smile, despite the rainy weather. Several hours later we had ingredients for a 10 gallon batch, a bunch of new tubing and such, rain gear, and a bottle of bourbon. The local supply store printed a recipe, but I just left it in the bag. I did not measure anything but temperature. Not because I'm really experienced, I just didn't sweat it. The bourbon may have helped me in this direction. For the mash, I told my friend to throw the grain in the ice chest and start stiring, while I opened the HLT valve. When it looked like it wasn't too thick we checked for gross temp. errors, closed the lid and noted the clock. Ninety (or so) minutes later we drained, sparged and started to boil. I opened the bittering hops and didn't weigh them at all just threw them all in. After an hour (or so), in go the aroma hops (all of them) and through the chiller the wort went. By the time I hosed out the last of the equipment, my shoes were soaking wet from rain and the dishwashing, it was 11 pm, and my friend was crashed on the couch.
Two weeks later the keg was under pressure. Two more weeks and we cracked the can. I won't says its the best beer on earth, but I do think its one of the best batches I've ever made. I may never reproduce the same batch, but it just goes to show you that beer is forgiving. This approach may not be for everyone, and I'm sure I'll get back to measuring and recording again. The brewing bug is now fully awake after fifteen years! I bought a pump, two more keggles, and the plate chiller arrives tomorrow.
The main advice I have for anyone starting out is to remove the things that worry you. For instance I brew outside, so I can make a big mess and clean it all up with a garden hose. Its a lot more fun when the worry level goes down.
Cheers all.

Reading this thread brought a smile to my face. I remember when I started, there was no great forums like this one. Only the Homebrew Digest and Charlie's book. I studied and worried a lot (against Charlie's advice). I measured everything and prepared like crazy, recording everything, etc. I was in learning mode so this was natural. I got several hand fulls of AG sessions under my belt after a year or two, and I settled down. Then life brought changes and the beer gear went into storage for fifteen long years. That gear got very lonely in the shed.
Last September my friend pokes me in the ribs and says "go get your brew gear". I just chuckled and didn't take him seriously. Two months later my friend does it again, so I said "OK" with a smile, despite the rainy weather. Several hours later we had ingredients for a 10 gallon batch, a bunch of new tubing and such, rain gear, and a bottle of bourbon. The local supply store printed a recipe, but I just left it in the bag. I did not measure anything but temperature. Not because I'm really experienced, I just didn't sweat it. The bourbon may have helped me in this direction. For the mash, I told my friend to throw the grain in the ice chest and start stiring, while I opened the HLT valve. When it looked like it wasn't too thick we checked for gross temp. errors, closed the lid and noted the clock. Ninety (or so) minutes later we drained, sparged and started to boil. I opened the bittering hops and didn't weigh them at all just threw them all in. After an hour (or so), in go the aroma hops (all of them) and through the chiller the wort went. By the time I hosed out the last of the equipment, my shoes were soaking wet from rain and the dishwashing, it was 11 pm, and my friend was crashed on the couch.
Two weeks later the keg was under pressure. Two more weeks and we cracked the can. I won't says its the best beer on earth, but I do think its one of the best batches I've ever made. I may never reproduce the same batch, but it just goes to show you that beer is forgiving. This approach may not be for everyone, and I'm sure I'll get back to measuring and recording again. The brewing bug is now fully awake after fifteen years! I bought a pump, two more keggles, and the plate chiller arrives tomorrow.
The main advice I have for anyone starting out is to remove the things that worry you. For instance I brew outside, so I can make a big mess and clean it all up with a garden hose. Its a lot more fun when the worry level goes down.
Cheers all.

Hey glad you got back into it FireDancer. you have a good point, and that just to not worry about it too much. RDWAHAHB!

Man, I've never seen such a vigorous ferment!

Okay, so the carboy with SA04 started vigorous ferment after about 4 hours.. The SA05 started to show some signs of ferment at 10-12 hours.. got up this morning and it was going pretty good too...

This is in line with my experience that SA04 is more 'violent' than other yeats I've tried..

But man, just got back from a hair cut, and the SA04 carboy is going 'crazy!' I pitched at 68 degrees, and it's at 74 now.. It's the color of coffee with creme, and boiling like crazy.. I just soaked a towel in cold water and wrapped it around the thing and put fan on it... closed the door to the bathroom they're in, to keep the heat from the fireplace from heating it up even more...

Man, I've had some pretty vigorous ferments before, but this is crazy.. Trying to calm it down so that it doesn't continue to ferment too warm and/or cook off too early...

:confused:

Back