Toasting Oats No Need to Wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettwasbtd

Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Everything I am seeing talks about letting toasted oats hang out in a paper bag for a week or two. Anyone use them the same or next day as they toasted? Was thinking about making an oatmeal stout this weekend so I obviously dont want to wait a few weeks. Any experiences would be appreciated. (also let me know what type of oats you used)

I've toasted flaked oats and used them hours later in an oatmeal stout. Tasted great!

I used brew store flaked oats. I think you have to boil grocery store oats first, making them rally hard to toast! Hahaha!

Quick oats are just broken up/crushed flaked oats. Shouldn't be any difference in the mash, other than maybe quick oats making it gummier/more prone to stuck sparge due to smaller size.

If you have Quick oats, or instant oats, they can go right in the mash. Old Fashioned Oats or steel cut oats should be cooked first- it's easy, though- just make oatmeal with it, and put that in the mash.

I'm not good at planning ahead, so I've done that several times. Good results!

Still, some people complain about a burnt popcorn flavor. Do you think it's just a myth? Or is it relative to the amount of toasting that's done? The few times I've tried it, I gave them two weeks in a paper bag to be safe. Turned out great.

Two alternatives would be to use them without toasting or to buy the oats already toasted. They're out there, apparently.

Maybe the amount/ level of toast? Searching I found a picture is someone who toasted so much it looked like raisin bran color. Mine definitely has a nutty flavor. Toasted at 300 for an hour and stirred every 15 min

Latest posts

Back