Toasted malt gravity contribution? grist ratio?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgers

Reaction score
Anybody out there have any idea of what the gravity potential of a pound of toasted 2 row malt would be? (Say 30min at 350 degrees).

I read a lot of posts saying diastatic power would be low or nothing but I assume there should still be some mashable starch inside the toasted grain that could be extracted when i mash with the other grain. Would this starch be as fermentable as non-toasted grain or is it more likely to contribute body/ residual carbs?

Last for style points - anybody have preferences about what % of grist to do with toasted malt?

Planning a toasted pale ale in 2 weeks and it will be my 1st try in 5 yrs. If it goes good I might try again on this toasted oat ale recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/all-grain-toasted-oat-pale-ale-116448/

Cheers, J

As a follow up - the answer appears to be that the toasted malt didnt contribute much gravity at all... I WAY undershot my target OG. I dont have my own mill and so just cracked the grain with a rolling pin - that is also likely a partial cause. But for anyone else out there trying to toast malt, my suggestion would be to use it for flavor, not for gravity... Or at least make sure to mill it properly.

Latest posts

Back