Toasted Coconut in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyc88

Reaction score
Hey guys, if i'm doing a Coconut Porter - how long should I add the toasted Coconut for? (I'm also putting a few flakes into each bottle).

I did a Cinnamon/Nutmeg Christmas Scotch Ale and I did 3 Cinnamon Sticks for 3 days in primary after fermentation. It came out great, but it was holy amounts of cinnamon. I didn't think it would get so much in a few short days, (it worked out because I like cinnamon). But - will the toasted coconut be the same?

One of the first beers I did was a coconut porter, I put 1 lb. in for 2 weeks. That worked very well, for my tastes. Unfortunately, the beer got infected and started tasting a bit nasty after a few weeks. I was a new brewer at the time, though, so I'm not positive the infection was due to the coconut.

I brewed my second coconut porter a couple of weeks ago, and I'm getting ready to put it in secondary with the coconut. A guy at the LHBS told me to look into doing the secondary at cold. I've looked for information about this online, but have not seen anything. On one hand, the cold would help suppress growth of any nasties on the coconut. On the other hand, the oil in the coconut would be solid at colder temperatures, which would probably result in less aroma from the coconut. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, yet.

One of the first beers I did was a coconut porter, I put 1 lb. in for 2 weeks. That worked very well, for my tastes. Unfortunately, the beer got infected and started tasting a bit nasty after a few weeks. I was a new brewer at the time, though, so I'm not positive the infection was due to the coconut.

I brewed my second coconut porter a couple of weeks ago, and I'm getting ready to put it in secondary with the coconut. A guy at the LHBS told me to look into doing the secondary at cold. I've looked for information about this online, but have not seen anything. On one hand, the cold would help suppress growth of any nasties on the coconut. On the other hand, the oil in the coconut would be solid at colder temperatures, which would probably result in less aroma from the coconut. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, yet.

From my research as long as the coconut is toasted it really cuts back the adverse affects from the fats/oils of the coconut. You bake them at 225 until they're golden brown. I want the beer to be quite coconut tasting, without being overwhelming... but more than subtle. Not sure how long to do it.

Last one I did came out great:

.5 lb of coconut in the mash
.5 lb at flameout
.25 lb "dry coconuted" in primary for 7 days (in a weighted mesh bag)

It was pretty tasty. Lots of compliments. Probably could have even gone without the last addition, but I thought it would add depth of flavor.

FWIW, I toast mine at about 300-350. Turning frequently.

Last one I did came out great:

.5 lb of coconut in the mash
.5 lb at flameout
.25 lb "dry coconuted" in primary for 7 days (in a weighted mesh bag)

It was pretty tasty. Lots of compliments. Probably could have even gone without the last addition, but I thought it would add depth of flavor.

FWIW, I toast mine at about 300-350. Turning frequently.

How much of the coconut flavor came through? I don't have the option to do any in the mash because i'm already done fermenting. I was gonna do like 2lb in a weighted hop bag for 3-7 days. Toasted coconut.

How did it affect your head retention?

I found this to be pretty useful:
http://bikeforbeer.org/?p=1428

I toasted mine at 300, but I don't remember how long. I just stirred and checked it every 6 or 7 minutes, and pulled it out when it was light golden brown. Remember that if you let it cool in the pan it's toasted in it will continue to cook a bit more after it's pulled out of the oven.

I found this to be pretty useful:
http://bikeforbeer.org/?p=1428

I toasted mine at 300, but I don't remember how long. I just stirred and checked it every 6 or 7 minutes, and pulled it out when it was light golden brown. Remember that if you let it cool in the pan it's toasted in it will continue to cook a bit more after it's pulled out of the oven.

Thanks, any sanitization necessary after baking before you put it in the beer? I was gonna sanitize a hop bag and a whiskey rock to sink it.

Thanks, any sanitization necessary after baking before you put it in the beer? I was gonna sanitize a hop bag and a whiskey rock to sink it.

I don't know, and that's one of the things I'm slightly worried about. I would definitely sanitize the bag and whiskey rock, but I'm not sure about the coconut. No doubt, there's stuff on the coconut, but perhaps the alcohol in the finished beer will help retard the growth of unwanted bacteria and yeast enough that it won't matter. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

I don't know, and that's one of the things I'm slightly worried about. I would definitely sanitize the bag and whiskey rock, but I'm not sure about the coconut. No doubt, there's stuff on the coconut, but perhaps the alcohol in the finished beer will help retard the growth of unwanted bacteria and yeast enough that it won't matter. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

Right, I would think the existing alcohol should be enough to be okay. Plus baking will kill most existing bacteria I would think... as long as you don't let it linger too long before putting it in... should be okay I would think.

But yes, anyone with experience, tips would be appreciated.

How much of the coconut flavor came through? I don't have the option to do any in the mash because i'm already done fermenting. I was gonna do like 2lb in a weighted hop bag for 3-7 days. Toasted coconut.

How did it affect your head retention?

A good amount came through. If you've ever had Maui Brewing Co.'s coconut porter, mine was a little more coconutty than that. Head retention was fine. No real difference from any other beers I've made....although I did add 12 oz of carapils to the recipe to try and compensate for any foam-killing oil that the coconut would have.

Right, I would think the existing alcohol should be enough to be okay. Plus baking will kill most existing bacteria I would think... as long as you don't let it linger too long before putting it in... should be okay I would think.

Exactly. Bake it, let it cool, put it in the beer. If it makes you feel any better, I've stored toasted coconut in a ziplock bag while waiting for fermentation to finish out, and it doesn't seem to be any worse for wear.

I toasted 1 lb for about 7 minutes which made it golden brown and added it to secondary in a sanitized hop bag with marbles for 7 days. Great coconut flavor for sure and no infections.
I toasted the coconut at 300 on parchment paper. Any longer and it would have been burnt.

I toasted 1 lb for about 7 minutes which made it golden brown and added it to secondary in a sanitized hop bag with marbles for 7 days. Great coconut flavor for sure and no infections.
I toasted the coconut at 300 on parchment paper. Any longer and it would have been burnt.

Thanks, that is really helpful.

I'm sure there's some kind of curve for this and I doubt it's a linear relationship. But if you're in a hurry, does 2lb for 3.5 days do about the same as 1lb for 7 days with additives? How does that relationship work?

But if you're in a hurry, does 2lb for 3.5 days do about the same as 1lb for 7 days with additives? How does that relationship work?

Hard to say. You'd have to do a side-by-side comparison to really know the difference.

If you already have 2 lbs ready to go, just chuck it all in there and taste a small sample every day.

Back