Toasted Coconut for a Pina Colada IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
So I've got 2.5lbs of fresh toasted coconut for a Pina Colada IPA I'm making this weekend. I've used toasted coconut in a porter before (~3lbs in the fermentor according to my notes) and it turned out well. I decided to dial it down a bit for something paler than a porter. What do you guys think, 2.5lbs or less?

I'll be using Kohatu (pineapple), Mouteka (lemon/lime) and ADHA 529 (reportedly some coconut? and lemon) along with some oats and Conan yeast to get a slicker mouthfeel.

How did this turn out? I just tried Belching Beaver's Pina Colada IPA last week, and I have been thinking about taking a crack at a recipe.

it was pretty great when it was fresh. but after 2 months or so, the pineapple from the hops faded and the coconut flavor tapered off and left it tasting weird.

if i did it again, i'd use some pineapple juice as well and possibly cheat with a bit of flavor extract to get a more stable pina colada flavor. to me, the whole concept seems like it would be best suited for a randall type device and immediate consumption

Back