To What Extent Are Plastic Buckets Impervious To Light?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polamalu43

Reaction score
I left mine near a small open window facing an alley in an otherwise dark room in order to keep it cool, but now I'm a bit concerned that it could skunk. It's been fairly sunny here and it would have had about a day's worth of partial sunlight shining directly on it...

Any thoughts?

Wrap 'er in towels if you're afraid of your wort becoming light stricken. Thats what I do... I have plastic pails for primary and plastic 5 gal water bottles for secondarys. I always wrap a dark colored bath towel around it and I've never had a problem. My place gets a lot of sunlight too...

I wouldn't say they're impervious to light, because you can see the beer line through them right? Put a t shirt over it. No naked fermenters.

I'm not worried about my buckets, but I put a shirt on the carboys usually.

It's not all light, but certain wavelengths. Much of visible light will allow us to see, but only some of it will affect the Hops in a way that will produce the skunky aroma.

Back