To tinker or not to tinker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silhou3tt3

Reaction score
So I'm on my sixth batch of extract brewing and I decided to try my hand at my own recipe. It is as follows:

6lb MM Wheat Malt Syrup
1.25lb Briess Light DME
1oz German Magnum pellet hops (40 min. addition)
1oz Falconer's Flight pellet hops (20 min. addition)
1oz Sweet Orange Peel (10 min. addition)
Wyeast 3333 German Wheat

Did a 60 minute 5 gallon boil and planning on doing a two week primary, two week secondary and then either bottle or keg.

Now my question is should I dry hop or leave it be? I'd like a nice aroma to it but I don't want to risk overdoing it since I honestly don't know all of the ins and outs of the process.

It looks like you won't be getting much aroma as is. I would either dry hop it OR (if you haven't brewed yet) look into hop stands and hop bursting. IMO though you can't really replace the aroma you get from a good, long dry hop.

Wheat beers in general don't have a huge hop aroma, and dry hopping is not to any of their styles. But... don't let that deter you, simply, because you can and make something even more delicious.

Start with 1/2 oz of dry hop, like FF for example, for a few days, taste and smell, and take it from there. You can always add more.

I don't prefer wheat beers that are over-hopped, but you can always try it. As was said earlier, wheat beers don't generally have a pronounced hop character. It's just one batch after-all and experimentation leads to experience.

And it's only one batch. If you don't like it, you can brew another batch you like more. That being said, I never advocate for dumping beer as a beer I brewed in August 2013 where I could not even get through a bottle mellowed rather well when I had a bottle just last week.

I've been tempted to dump my first batch (an Irish Red that I hurried through the processes and subsequently ruined) but I've left it alone to age in the bottle in the hope that it'll come around.

Right now I have 3oz of Citra and Centennial hops (bulbs) on hand. Would either of these be a good option or might they be a bit much?

I know a wheat beer isn't supposed to be especially hoppy but I'm really hoping for that little something to come out in the aroma when I pour the beer. Promise I won't dump it if it comes out rough!

You can always dry hop in the keg if you don't like the results at first.

Just put the hops in a bag suspended in the keg with dental floss or fishing line to keep it away from the dip tube, and raise the keg back to room temp for a few days.

Oh, cool, I'll give that a shot. Didn't know if I was going to have to try splitting the batch and dry hopping one and leaving the other alone.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Well, I didn't tinker and it turned out pretty good. A little hoppy for my taste but a very drinkable beer. Thanks again for your thoughts!

Personally, I would say, that if you are not planning on dry-hopping, to not transfer to secondary. Really you don't gain anything by doing this, and you increase the risk of oxidation and infection. LEave it in primary for the whole time, and then rack straight to keg.

I'd cut the bittering and late hops just a bit and dry hop it with a citrusy hop. Or add more orange peel!

I enjoy a witbier that has a LOT of citrus aroma.

I'd cut the bittering and late hops just a bit and dry hop it with a citrusy hop. Or add more orange peel!

I enjoy a witbier that has a LOT of citrus aroma.

I agree. I was afraid adding a full ounce of orange peel was going to be too strong but I can't even taste it because the hops are so....present. They're not overwhelming, though. Probably one of the smoother "IPAs" that I've had.

If I do it again I'm thinking of cutting the hops down to half an ounce each and doing them at 20min and 10min.

I try to use low AA hops and only ad them at 60 minutes. Keep it light and let the coriander and peel do the flavoring.

Adding them late might impart more hop flavor than you want (unless they are strictly citrus hops, then it might work out really well!)

Ah, I must have my thought process backwards. I'll try the 60min addition instead. Still think the orange peel at 1oz at 10min?

I just did a Belgian White last weekend, I too like more of the citrus orange flavor as does the wife whom I made this for. I used 1 oz of Styrian Golding hops at the beginning of a 45min boil. To try and give it more punch I also added 1oz of navel orange zest and two medium navel oranges that I had juiced and mashed with 20mins remaining in the boil.

I plan to add 1oz of coriander and another 1/2oz of orange zest to the secondary for a couple days before I bottle.

Here's the recipe I used minus the added tinkering

Fermentables:
5 lbs Wheat Dried Malt Extract

Grains:
7 oz Flaked Oats
7 oz Flaked Wheat

Hops:
1 oz Styrian Golding Hops (Bittering, 45 Minutes)
Yeast:
Dry Yeast: Sabrew T-58 Ale Yeast

Additions:
1 oz Coriander (Ground)
½ oz Dried Orange Peel

I just did a Belgian White last weekend, I too like more of the citrus orange flavor as does the wife whom I made this for. I used 1 oz of Styrian Golding hops at the beginning of a 45min boil. To try and give it more punch I also added 1oz of navel orange zest and two medium navel oranges that I had juiced and mashed with 20mins remaining in the boil.

Have you brewed this recipe before? I was trying for something a bit more balanced that had a pronounced orange/citrus flavor but missed the mark.

For something like a Witbier is it usually a good idea to lower the boil to around 45 minutes?

I like 1 oz. I don't think it's too much. I've seen .75 ounces for a subtle amount in 5 gallons of beer.

Have you ever tried putting it in at a different time in the boil?

Have you brewed this recipe before? I was trying for something a bit more balanced that had a pronounced orange/citrus flavor but missed the mark.

For something like a Witbier is it usually a good idea to lower the boil to around 45 minutes?

Have you ever tried putting it in at a different time in the boil?

I haven't. I'll definitely report back how it turns out but will be a few weeks. If it comes out close to an Oberon or Blue Moon then I'll be happy. Fingers crossed.

Nope, generally I put it in about the same time I put my chiller in to sanitize it.

About 10 minutes before flameout.

I think I'll do it at 10 the next time, as well. Not sure if it is wise to put it in any earlier.

I haven't. I'll definitely report back how it turns out but will be a few weeks. If it comes out close to an Oberon or Blue Moon then I'll be happy. Fingers crossed.

Good stuff. Hopefully it turns out how you're thing. Good luck!

I've thought about dry hopping with it, but I'm not sure about sanitation. Late boil seems to work well.

And there is the option of fresh orange slices in the beer if it's not right.

I was once really against fruiting beer, but I've come to like a bit of citrus aroma and flavor in a witbier. It's fine plain too, but after so many wait stuff bringing me beer with fruit in it I've given up expecting it to plain.

Same here. At this point I'm concerned that if I DON'T add it that the taste will be lacking. That thought process was also why I added so much in the way of hops. I think all of the extracts that I have done have had two hop additions so I was kind of just sticking to that schedule.

Overall I am still surprised at how this one turned out. A week in the keg and there's starting to be a background flavor that I'm noticing (orange?) and the frontal hop presence is easing up, too.

Latest posts

Back