To secondary, or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsEggy

Reaction score
I started a hard cider a little over two weeks ago. I'm consider putting into secondary to clear it up. I'm wondering now (after reading some forums) if it's even necessary. What would I benefit with doing that? It's done fermenting. Should I just bottle?

I started a hard cider a little over two weeks ago. I'm consider putting into secondary to clear it up. I'm wondering now (after reading some forums) if it's even necessary. What would I benefit with doing that? It's done fermenting. Should I just bottle?

In my experience, even a clear cider throws lees for a while. I had about four inches of lees in the primary, and then another inch or two in the secondary- and I didn't want that crud in my bottles so it's still in a carboy even though it's clear. I am still getting a dusting of lees, and the cider is about 3 weeks old.

I'm no expert on cidermaking,but I use a secondary to get the cider off the lees in the primary.Since there are still live yeasts,I add more sweetener to the secondary,add an airlock,and let it work a second time. Usually it clears pretty well in a couple of weeks,and thats when I bottle. I usually have a small amount of residue in the bottom of the bottles,but that doesn't bother me,I just pour slowley,and leave the last quarter inch in the bottle.

Back