To Repitch.....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igorstien

Reaction score
Hey,

I've put on a batch of a pilsner on Saturday afternoon and haven't really seen any action. There is a small build up of wannabe krausen, but every other batch I've made has gone off without a problem.

Any thought's about added more yeast? Maybe just giving it another stir?

The tempurature in the room is 24 celcius and the pitch temp was around 26 celcius...both are in range. Everything smells ok, There was just no big fementation like I expected.

Any thoughts, just re-pitch............HELP!!!

IGOR

You're making a pilsner at 24 deg. C??
I thought a pilsner was basically a variation on a lager...

What kind of yeast did you use, and how did you go about it (starter, etc.)?
It sounds like the beer is fermenting, just slowly, so I wouldn't repitch.

Well after closer inspection it's bubbling away. I guess there just was not a big krausen build up....

There is some bubbling, and the seal was a bit loose. Good call!! I guess things go out through the point of least resistance.

Thanks for the help.

IGOR

maybe one of you lager brewers can chime in here. this is a question I've been wondering about, and might be the thing Igor ran into here...

Since lager yeasts ferment on the bottom, do they produce a significantly smaller amount of kraeusen that ale yeasts that ferment on the top?

Kaiser?
Bill?
Anyone?

-walker

Just to update:

Due to sealing problems racked over to the secondary (carboy)....Bad bucket,,,BAD, BAD BUCKET!!!

Anyway, the batch is bubble ever 3.5 second and is going so hard you can actually hear the thing bubbling.....not the airlock the actually brew....I've never had a brew sound so loud. I put my ear up to the glass and it just humming inside..................NICE!!!

IGOR

Back