To pitch more or not to pitch more...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iBrew

Reaction score
History: I had the common 1.020 conundrum recently for a couple days. I roused the yeast and ramped up the heat in my brew room 2 or three degrees and it's fermenting away again wonderfully. Here are the stats followed by my actual question (which given the title of the thread, may not be hard to figure out...)
Belgian Dubbel
OG: 1.079
Target FG: 1.016 (8.5% abv)
SG as of now: 1.018 (which makes the current abv 8.3%)
I used one 11.5g packet of Ferments Safbrew T-58 (72-76% aa and able to "tolerate up to 11.5% v/v")
Racking to secondary rather soon
Given all of that (ask for more if you need it, I'll do my best to answer) should I be pitching another packet of the same yeast 3 days before bottling as so many similar recipe's in my reference books tell me to? If T-58 can handle 11.5% and I'm shooting for 8.5% tops, shouldn't it be able to handle 3/4 cups of priming sugar before tiring out?

I really doubt you will have any problems carbonating. When you rack to a bottling bucket to mix with your priming solution you'll rouse all the yeasties you'll need to get the job done.

Latest posts

Back