To much head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchcl640

Reaction score
What is the recommended PSI for co2. My beer is producing to much head. What can I do to control this. It is in a keg

10-12 psi is a general setting for most ales. Purge excess gas with your pressure relief valve if you're overcarbonated - you might have to do it multiple times. How did you carb it up in the first place - did you force carb it at 30 psi and shake it?

In addition to the pressure, if this is a picnic tap the length of your hose needs to be correct. If it's a kegerator then the warmer tower can cause foaming.
What kind of set up are you using?

The proper pressure is directly related to the temp of beer. The colder the beer, the lower the pressure required to hit your desired volumes of CO2. I shoot for 2.4 volumes in most ales and serve at 40 degs. So, based on this chart, I set my pressure between 11 and 12 psi.

Don't know if it's the "correct answer" but it worked for me. For the first time I kegged, did everything text book, carbed 24 hours at 30 shook then at 20 for another 24 hours. purged it set it to 10 psi and I had 90% head 10% beer for 3 days I delt with it finally I just turned the PSI down to like 5ish and now it pours a perfect glass every time.

FWIW I have my CO2 bottle Kegs and picnic taps all in the fridge.

Beer needs pressure pushing back on it to pour correctly. The lengh of the hose determines this pressure because the longer the hose, the more effort it takes to push the beer out. A longer line will take care of your foam issue's. I would just use 6 feet and then start with a low pressure and build up until the beer comes out how you want it. The idea is you push 12 psi out of your tank into your keg and the beer line presses 10 psi back from the other side. If you subtrack these two, you are actually using 2 psi to serve. This pushback is also what allows your beer to stay carbonated in the keg because it is able to hold 10 PSI in your corney. Good Luck !

Back