To drain syrup or not to drain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtBrewer

Reaction score
I just bought some Oregon Fruit Company canned blackberries in light syrup. I am gonna rack my 4.5 month old sour farmhouse ale on top of these and add a couple strains of Brett and Belgian yeast. Do you think I should drain off the syrup or leave it to let the yeast chew on?

I'd leave it. I've read recently that plain fruit often contains enough water that it doesn't actually contribute much to ABV and it can thin out the body of a beer. Leaving the syrup in can possibly help avoid the thinning of the beer and give the souring bugs more to work with to produce more complexity in the flavor.

The syrup should be basically sugar and water. It won't help avoid thinning out the beer because it should fully ferment, but it may help increase the ABV and add some extra flavor leeched out from the fruit.

Cool thanks guys, kinda what I was thinking as well, and I went and dumped everything in. I'll post back in a month and let everyone know how it came out.

Back