To build in or not.....that is the question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramdough

Reaction score
So, over the years, I have collected my parts.....

I have:

36" drop in drop tray.
4 taps
1 soda gun and enough parts for 6+ flavors
8.8 cu-ft freezer
Regulators and tanks
Hose, etc

I planned to build something at my old house, but moved. Wife says she is never moving again. Too much work.

I am building a new house with a shop space (with room for my e-brewery I am going to build (have all of the parts for that too....just need to build it)).

The brewery space has room for my keezer.

The keezer would be directly against where I put my future out door kitchen. Hmmmmm almost like it was planned that way. ;-)

I am considering running some some pvc through the wall, insulating it, mounting the drip tray in my future concrete counter tops and tiling a koffin for the taps. That was my original plan.

I am now considering putting in a more modular system so I can take it with me if we ever move..... but I think that won't look as nice.

What do you all think? Built in permanent or make it removable but not a nicely done?

To clarify, are you running the lines through the wall to an indoor space or to an outdoor kitchen? If it's exposed to the elements, I'd try to keep things as modular/replaceable as possible.

The freezer is inside the building..... the taps and soda gun will be outside on my patio.

That part will not change. I would probably leave the taps out all of the time. I might make a cover for dust and freezing weather.

Other than that, the only difference is if I want to be able to take the taps with me if/when I move again. Hopefully that will not be anytime soon.

Will I build everything in permanently or try to make some of it less permanent?

That is the question.

So, most of my friends are suggesting that a build it all permanently in place.

Any opinions here?

The only way I would build something "permanent" outside is if all the components are easily replaceable. Pretty much anything left exposed to the elements is going to break down eventually. Also, you definitely need some plugs for for the faucets or you'll have flies half the year.

The faucets are Perlick 630ss with stainless shanks. The drip tray is stainless. The soda gun is plastic with stainless hose cover. All of the other major parts will be inside.

I plan on plugging the taps and the soda gun. I might even cover the entire thing in addition to keep dust off of it.

Nothing that you put together can not be taken apart. It's just Legos the adult version

The "permanent" part would be if I poured the concrete countertops with the drip tray installed into it and grouted the koffen in.

I would do it all "permanenty". I think it will give you a better end result. I do think some kind of box or cover that you can lock is a good idea as it will detur pests, with 2 legs or any other variety.

If you move the outdoor kitchen will be a selling point and the taps and shanks would be negotiable just like any other appliance in the house, ie, fridge, washer, dryer.

Also, will those be your only taps? Will you have to go outside after dinner on Friday or before church on Sunday to pull a pint?

The "permanent" part would be if I poured the concrete countertops with the drip tray installed into it and grouted the koffen in.

So do something else instead. I've seen lots of ways to do countertops that look great. Heck, you could use the stone people use for garden walks, half-thickness bricks, there are tons of ways to do this.

Build it in, but make it modular to take apart and move it if need be.

You can, for instance, build a bar top that is attached from underneath with just a few screws or a number of other ways to attach it. The bar base can be anchored to the floor using mollies and bolts; they can be unscrewed. You can attach the back bar (if you have one) just as you'd attach cabinets, and undo and move it.

I don't believe this question is as either-or as you're thinking it is.

I would do it all "permanenty". I think it will give you a better end result. I do think some kind of box or cover that you can lock is a good idea as it will detur pests, with 2 legs or any other variety.

If you move the outdoor kitchen will be a selling point and the taps and shanks would be negotiable just like any other appliance in the house, ie, fridge, washer, dryer.

Also, will those be your only taps? Will you have to go outside after dinner on Friday or before church on Sunday to pull a pint?

I would want a cover for sure to keep out unwanted drinkers and dirty creatures off of it, as well as some way to protect it from freezing.

These will start out as my only taps, but I don't see that as a problem. We spend tones of time outside normally and drinking beer outside would approach 50% of the time anyway. Plus I can get to them in bad weather without a problem. My brewery will be a 10 foot walk to the taps outside. My dining table and living room are 20-30 feet from the taps as well.

In the end it is you and yours that will be calling that place home. Make it what YOU want.

Never sounds like ♾ but I know a lot of people that use the word never but only mean this year, month, or with my youngest this day.

🚩😉off topic. I think

♾=ever
So
(♾)-1 would = never.
Or would it be
(♾)i= I don't know.

Some things to consider. You mentioned dust and freezing weather. If you're putting everything to dispense the beverages outside, will you really feel like going outside to get a VERY cold beer in freezing weather? And then continuing to do it every time you're empty.

The other big question is the same with your add on man..building? Are you going to want to go in and out of your house to get another drink? I'm lazy and just want to walk from my seat to the bar in the basement to get another drink. If I could get away with running a line right to my chair I would. But then I'd have to figure out how to put a toilet in the chair and that's too complicated.

Here ya go

https://www.google.com/search?q=condom+catheter&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii-qGg64XRAhXDNSYKHc1xBlYQ_AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=bS29ahIKqbZq-M%3A

I live in central Texas. The weather is rarely bad enough to prevent me from going outside. Also, when I really want to drink or have friends over, I am almost always outside. If I just want one or two, walking outside is not bad. If I want to be lazy, I could always break out the 1L mugs. I would say that aside from a 1-2 beer night, all of my 2+ beer days I am hanging out outside.

New plan...... going all in (almost). I am planning to frame in my wall a box that will become the koffin. I will tile the outside or use something similar that can be replaced. Access to the koffin will be from inside the shop. I will have a set on raised counter too for the drip tray that will be built into that portion. The raised counter will be 42" off the ground. The base counter will be 36" high. The end result is that I can pull the taps, plug the holes, and remove the upper counter with drip tray as needed.

I am not sure if that makes sense.

Modify your last plan and make the tap section so you can pull it inside during colder weather and reverse it so it is accessible from the brew cave. Make it on slides, pull it back and have a center pivot. Add a cover for the outside wall to plug the hole.

Modify your last plan and make the tap section so you can pull it inside during colder weather and reverse it so it is accessible from the brew cave. Make it on slides, pull it back and have a center pivot. Add a cover for the outside wall to plug the hole.

As I've watched this discussion unfold, I thought about the same thing, Mary. The only reservation I had with it is how to keep the beer lines chilled up to the taps. Anything that can be pulled inside would have to accommodate that unless...foamy beer.

If it were something that were moved twice per year, perhaps a semi-permanent setup could be used. What I'd want is something that could be swung outside or inside based on where I'd want to be serving...or that could be swung inside so as to make the taps inaccessible by neer-do-wells who wanted free beer.

"Swung" is kind of a key word here, but I haven't resolved how to do something that can move and still maintain chilled lines. One option has it fixed in place, but have taps on both the inside and outside, and a lockable, insulated cover that could be placed over the outside taps when not in use. Of course, that would entail the costs of additional faucets and shanks...

Just thinkin' out loud.....

I think I would rather add extra taps and "T" the lines. That would be significantly easier. The keezer is going into my shop next to my fermentation fridge and brew stand.

I think I will build in the taps with tiled backsplash and have a cover that locks for security and insulation.

Back