To Amylase or not to Amylase....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Repitching is always the best option if it stops at 1.024...that may be more of a wort profile issue than a yeast issue. I don't know all the science on it, but that often seems to be the case. Brewing is a never ending quest to perfection...just like playing an instrument.

Repitching is always the best option if it stops at 1.024...that may be more of a wort profile issue than a yeast issue. I don't know all the science on it, but that often seems to be the case. Brewing is a never ending quest to perfection...just like playing an instrument.

By all accounts, the amount of simple sugar I added made for lazy/upset yeast. Smaller editions of the simple sugar over time would have mitigated this issue. I added it all straight to the boil which I'm sure was my number 1 mistake. In the book, Brew Like A Monk, they mention adding candy sugar straight to the boil. But I am very obviously not a Moortgat brewmaster.

It worked so well that the wine yeast that I used cleaned up the acetylaldehyde perfectly.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe the wine yeast cleared up your off flavors, maybe they matured out on their own. Impossible to say

If I had used a hydrometer instead of a refractometer I would have realized that it was closer to FG. Since I thought it was so far off I thought amylase was an option. But it was a matter of measurement as opposed to method.

This experience has taught me two things:

1. Repitch when necessary. The yeast is mightier than the enzyme.
2. Always double check your measurements and the way you measure.

What you should also learn from this is something that all of us have erred on at one point or another: be wary of making assessments too early. Had you taken a hydrometer reading and waited a week or two before posting, you may have had an entirely different experience. I actually think that everything here would have been just fine. When you're relatively inexperienced, off flavors are unfamiliar and can be a little distressing. Your points above are good points to learn, but sometimes taking a deep breath is the best thing to do, especially with big beers.

Cheers!

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe the wine yeast cleared up your off flavors, maybe they matured out on their own. Impossible to say

You are right. One could also argue that when I repitched with wine yeast that I also added yeast nutrient, which accelerated the maturation process by adding FAN.

What you should also learn from this is something that all of us have erred on at one point or another: be wary of making assessments too early.

After a month in the primary, and 2 separate readings that had not changed a week apart from each other with no change in flavor profile and very sparse airlock activity, I don't believe my assessment was too early. I do believe that had I used a hydrometer instead of a refractometer, my assessment would have been very different. You are correct in that regard and I do appreciate your feedback.

By all accounts, the amount of simple sugar I added made for lazy/upset yeast. Smaller editions of the simple sugar over time would have mitigated this issue. I added it all straight to the boil which I'm sure was my number 1 mistake. In the book, Brew Like A Monk, they mention adding candy sugar straight to the boil. But I am very obviously not a Moortgat brewmaster.

God damn it, I meant to say ISN'T always the best option. Ugh, stupid brain getting ahead of my fingers.
I think simple sugar straight to the boil is fine, I doubt that was your problem. Could've been the mash profile, the fermentation temperature, O2 at the start, less than healthy yeast...
I'm always baffled when I get an under attenuated beer. People always say, "Get an oxygen setup! You'll never have to worry about under attenuation again!" Bull****. So many other factors involved than just O2 at the start.

It's not perfect, but it's tasty and potent.

Procedure: following Brew Like a Monk, I raised the temperature of the brew after the cold crash to 75F for a month. Then I placed the keg into my brew freezer at 50F for 3 weeks.

I have sampled this beer for the second time in two weeks. My verdict: patience and proper SG measurements are virtues. This beer is highly drinkable!

It's not a perfect Duvel clone. The SRM is darker. It is cloudier than I would like. Head retention, however is the best I've ever seen in a beer I've made. There is a strong clove flavor in it, moreso than I would like. It is slightly sweet, slightly hot, and it still has a very slight meaty undertone to it.

But, all things being equal, I consider this beer a success. I think my yeast choice contributed to the clove flavor, but I'm going to let it age out and see where the sweet spot is.

Anyway, that's my update. I just wanted to let the community know what became of this beer.

On the topic:
I am very glad I did not use amylase. :mug:

IMG_20150401_191415.jpg

Last edited:
Been in primary fermentation for one month. It is hazy as hell.

I'm going to do a starch test on it. But beano is out of the question. It cleaves and keeps on cleaving. I posted a link to another thread showing someone using amylase successfully.

I like BibPem's idea of using Brettanomyces and forgetting about it for a while.

Back