To add water, or not to add water...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
That is the question....

I brewed 10 gallons of bourbon barrel porter and it came out to only about 7.5 gallons in the fermenter. I intended to add water to make the difference since I knew the wort was heavily concentrated to begin with. Fermentation has been going for 48 hours now so the question is, to add water or not to add water? I am not trying to make jet fuel, and I will be adding 500 ml of bourbon to make up a lot of flavor and abv.

Thanks for the input.

Mark

I would have added the water prior to the yeast before fermentation began.

I think at this point it's a little too late but if you're bottling you may be able to add the water at that point with your priming sugar.

Either way you're going to mess up the fg.

I would not add water now...... I guess I would go with an "imperial bourbon porter."

And what do you mean you will be adding the bourbon to "to make up flavor and abv"????? I would think that will be two things this beer will not be lacking. Maybe taste it first and see how much bourbon you need..... may need less, may need more.

Basically, I think you will likely end up with a damn good beer - just maybe a little bigger than you planned on.

I would add water, if my OG was high and the beer was not what I wanted and planned.

No harm will come if you add water gently, without splashing. You can calculate the amount of water to dilute to get to your desired OG.

Back