To add a spigot to bucket fermenter or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

der_Missionar

Reaction score
Been brewing for 6 years now... I've rarely checked gravity readings, I've only taken a reading after 3 weeks of the brew sitting around. I've decided I should start taking a few readings during the brew process, just to get to know my beers a bit better. Oh, and I stopped doing secondary, so I only do primary in a plastic bucket...

I could open the top and take readings that way, or some have suggested I really should add a spigot to my fermenter. Others say I risk messing up my bucket by creating places for infections to hide.

I'm interested in peoples' opinions on this.

I think a spigot works nicely for this, but it is one more thing to clean/sanitize. I added one to an aftermarket bottling bucket and have had trouble getting it to seal - another I've had no problems with.

If you do install one, completely remove and sanitize each time - the only effective way to do it.

I think a spigot works nicely for this, but it is one more thing to clean/sanitize. I added one to an aftermarket bottling bucket and have had trouble getting it to seal - another I've had no problems with.

If you do install one, completely remove and sanitize each time - the only effective way to do it.

I have them on my plastic fermenters. When I'm done racking I always remove the spigot, soak in PBW, work the valve, use a small brush to clean it, then rinse in hot water. I then dunk in Star-San and let dry, just toss it, loose, into the bottom of the fermenter. Then next time, I'll sanitize the fermenter, sanitize the spigot (working the valve back and forth), then install it.

Knock on wood, but I've never gotten an infection doing it his way. It's clean, it's sanitized, and like @Smellyglove , I wouldn't use a fermenter without one.

I've used Big Mouth Bubblers (PET), and a buckets (HDPE), with spigots. I've never had a problem with them, and I've never had an infection. I wouldn't want to go without them. The spigots install/remove by hand (no wrench), so they're very easy to clean. They're very inexpensive, if you want to replace them after a couple of years (which I have not done). A spigot is also very nice to have when doing a closed transfer to a keg.

...even if you have a spigot you can't sample "forever" as every sample you draw pulls air in through the airlock.

If you use a balloon as part of the airlock system you can pull samples from the spigot without drawing air into the fermenter.

I would not have one. They are cheap plastic fittings. I would always be worrying about them 1) leaking 2) getting broken off and 3) infections. In that order.

May need one if I ever do a closed transfer. Haven't seen the need for that in my 7 3/4 years of brewing.

I've used Big Mouth Bubblers (PET), and a buckets (HDPE), with spigots. I've never had a problem with them, and I've never had an infection. I wouldn't want to go without them. The spigots install/remove by hand (no wrench), so they're very easy to clean. They're very inexpensive, if you want to replace them after a couple of years (which I have not done). A spigot is also very nice to have when doing a closed transfer to a keg.

If you use a balloon as part of the airlock system you can pull samples from the spigot without drawing air into the fermenter.

Indeed. I use mylar-balloons, but not everybody does this.

I switched from a BmB without one to one with a spigot. I don't ever remove it, and I've had no infection issues. It's so much nicer for closed transfers. I really wouldn't want to be without a spigot again.

I'd spigot. Makes decanting to the bottling bucket much easier. Since you're exposing the wort to it for potentially weeks at a time, it's worth the trouble to disassemble it and sanitize it separately.

Yes to the spigot! I’ve got about 30 brews under my belt, so while I’m not an expert, I’ve got habits. It’s a couple extra minutes to clean and sanitize on each end of the process, but, that more than balances out siphoning for me.

Unless it’s a conical & off the ground/shelf, I wouldn’t add a spigot. A wine thief works well and you can drop your hydro in it to take the reading.

For me, there is too much risk of the spigot getting bumped. I’ve bumped my bottling bucket before.

Also, I don’t think plastic valves are fully sealed to air around the non-contact side of the spigot. You can’t guarantee it will stay sanitized.

Unless it’s a conical & off the ground/shelf, I wouldn’t add a spigot. A wine thief works well and you can drop your hydro in it to take the reading.

For me, there is too much risk of the spigot getting bumped. I’ve bumped my bottling bucket before.

One has to decide if the reward is worth the apparent risk of bumping it. I find a spigot SO much better than a siphon that I can't imagine going back. Also makes me wonder if those arguing against them have ever given spigots an extrended trial.

Also, I don’t think plastic valves are fully sealed to air around the non-contact side of the spigot. You can’t guarantee it will stay sanitized.

They're sealed. If they weren't, they'd leak wort.

D507E8C4-3DC5-4D86-982F-5E891B2E6BC5.jpeg
Not air tight on the non-contact side.

The hole lines up with the side hole in the valve when the valve is closed.

If you’re doing it with a 3 piece stainless steel ball valve in a closed system, that’s a different matter.

Last edited:
Sanitized prior to install doesn't maintain sanitary during. I'd be blasting it with 70% iso, all around and up into, immediately before and after sampling (and absolutely before racking).

Sanitized prior to install doesn't maintain sanitary during. I'd be blasting it with 70% iso, all around and up into, immediately before and after sampling (and absolutely before racking).

I always spray those spigots before racking through them--up inside the spout and the outside as well. It's not a hard problem to solve, if it's truly a problem.

I always spray those spigots before racking through them--up inside the spout and the outside as well. It's not a hard problem to solve, if it's truly a problem.
I figured you did.

From the posts in here I didn't expect others to necessarily deduce that part though. I'd think it common sense, but you know how that goes.

No different than a sampling port on a conical. Treat the same way.

Oh, and you can break off a metal one too if you thwack it hard enough. But yeah, breaking a plastic spigot would be the primary concern.

I figured you did.

From the posts in here I didn't expect others to necessarily deduce that part though. I'd think it common sense, but you know how that goes.

No different than a sampling port on a conical. Treat the same way.

Oh, and you can break off a metal one too if you thwack it hard enough. But yeah, breaking a plastic spigot would be the primary concern.

Fair enough.

I spray everything. I probably spray Star-San far more than I need to, but I do not want to go through all the time, effort, and money to brew a beer only to have sloppiness in cleaning or sanitizing destroy all that.

When I reassemble parts whether plastic or SS, I dunk them in Star-San. Spray when I can't dunk. I am probably one of their best customers. :)

every bucket I use has a plastic spigot. I ferment in them. Never a problem in over ten years of brewing with the same buckets.

View attachment 626914 Not air tight on the non-contact side.

The hole lines up with the side hole in the valve when the valve is closed.

If you’re doing it with a 3 piece stainless steel ball valve in a closed system, that’s a different matter.

I sanitize the spigot and wrap it with foil prior to racking in the sweet wort. When I use the spigot to rack to a keg, I pull the foil and spray again with starsan. The extra 30-60 seconds combined is well worth the ease of racking and ease of closed transfer.

No way I'd go back to siphon...nope. For those for whom siphoning works...more power to ya.

My only issue with a spigot is that I would sometimes have so much trub that it would cover the spigot and I couldn't get anything out. This is with pouring everything from the kettle to the fermenter.

On my last batch, I finally strained through a colander when I poured into the fermenter. Wow, what a difference! I did a closed transfer to a keg, and it flowed perfectly. When I was done I looked at the trub at the bottom of the fermenter, and it was at the base of the spigot rather than at the top.

Back