Titanium Heater Rod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LitBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this would work or not, but it takes me like 30 mins to heat up water to strike temp, and another 30 to heat the wort to boil using a cooker. Wondering if I could cut this down by using a titanium heater like you might use for an aquarium at the same time? Maybe it would melt due to the heat on the kettle, perhaps they are not rated for boil temps?

Maybe something like this: ANDRIMAX Immersion Heater for Boiling Bath Water, Heavy Duty Submersible Water Heater with Metal Guard Cover to Heat 5 Gallons of Water in Minutes - U.S. Version - - Amazon.com

I have heard of people using a 'titanium' heater, but the only ones i can find are for fish tanks.

I found this one, looks like it would work very well, but It takes a month and a half to get here and it's 3x the price:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SYP8X8...ov_lig_dp_it#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div
There is also this one, almost as expensive but will be here sooner. I guess these things have a return policy I could just buy them and test them out. I was hoping someone else would have tried this and had a brand/device that they know works:
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Imm...cket+water+heater+boil&qid=1632002429&sr=8-11

The listing has some bold claims that break thermodynamic laws. 5 gallons of water to boil in 15 minutes? Sure, only if the water was already at 174F. If you start at room temp (70F), it will take a 2000 watt heater 54 minutes to reach a boil in 5 gallons. Physics are a *****.

I bought the cheaper one for $30 just to test it out. Unclear what the $100+ ones add besides temperature control which I don't really need.

I'll dunk it in next time i'm trying to hit strike water temp and when i'm bringing to boil. Again, I typically use a gas cooker to heat up my kettle, and it's pretty decent but if I can cut the time in half or more with this thing there is some real time savings to be had. Not really looking to just go from tap temp to boiling without adding other heat sources.

I have timings for how long it takes without so I should be able to see how much an improvement this provides and post back here.

Last edited:
I have the 1500W bucket heater that @RM-MN linked. I use it to assist in heating when I brew on my electric stove top in winter. That heater plus the stove will get 5 gallons of water from mashout to boiling in 15 minutes. There's no way that 1300W "titanium" heater is going to bring 5 gal of water from room temp to a boil that fast, if at all.

At best, the titanium unit would help with a brew on a stove top or hot plate.

The listing has some bold claims that break thermodynamic laws. 5 gallons of water to boil in 15 minutes? Sure, only if the water was already at 174F. If you start at room temp (70F), it will take a 2000 watt heater 54 minutes to reach a boil in 5 gallons. Physics are a *****.

+1

Watts are watts. Mass is mass.

There ain't no magic that lets you get around the basic thermodynamics.

Back