tips on my Double IPA please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dabbed_Out_Brewing

Reaction score
I am Currently working on a double IPA with a predicted abv between 8%-9%..I am leaving it in one vessel. I was wondering if anyone thought 4 weeks in primary, then adding my dry hops and leaving for one more week before bottling, for a total of 5 weeks, would be enough time for the beer to be fully fermented and ready to package. Also going to leave bottled for 3 weeks before first taste. Is this too long in the fermenter? I've been told you can leave it in primary the entire time and something like "anything 3 months and less is fine, only rack to secondary if more than 3 months of aging or fruit addition"

I have cut out secondary moving forward unless fruit additions or aging,
that isn't my question. thanks brewers! cheers!

No problems with that amount of time.

First thing you should remember is don't set a schedule for fermenting your beer. It will be done when it's done.

As long as you pitch healthy yeast, produced a good wort, and control you ferm temps the yeast are typically done in a week, and can take up to two.

As far as waiting for 3 weeks after bottling to taste. Some beers are fully carbed in a week or even less on rare occasions, so throw a bottle in the fridge after a week and test it if you're curious. Since the ABV is high it might take a little longer to carb up.

My "typical" schedule for a DIPA is: 10 days to two weeks at fermentation temp (say, 63-67F depending on the yeast), 3 days to 1 week at slightly elevated temp (about 5-10F higher) to make sure it finishes off, 1 week cold crash, 1 week dry hop. All in one carboy, yes. (And although against "canon," I dry hop while at cold crash temperature)

So I'd expect your 5 weeks to be adequate. But do start taking gravity readings about 3.5 to 4 weeks in! And certainly make sure final gravity is stable before any cold crashing begins.

For my DIPA it usually takes about 3 weeks to fully bottle carb at room T. But then it usually takes another 3-4 weeks to clear and condition away the "green" flavors (i.e., more yeast and crap falls out). For me, 6-8 weeks after bottling is the sweet spot for a hoppy brew, and by 12 weeks the hoppy aromas are in rapid decline. So drink up!

Absolutely no issues with leaving the beer on the cake for that long, but it is an IPA and, IMO, the fresher the better.
I usually dry hop my IPAs as soon as fermentation has ended, which usually takes 7-10 days. I dry hop for 5 days and then bottle. they are usually fully carbed at 10 days.
25 days Grain to Glass for me and they are so hoppy and fresh. I find that the hops do fade fast so I would take issue with the extended amount of time you are giving everything, but hey, the great thing about home brewing is its all about experimentation and finding what works best for YOU!

I'm usually packaged by 21 days including a week or so of dry hop and several days of cold crash. You can do it much faster than your schedule. The longer you wait the more oxidized and old it will be. Pitch big, aerate well and control the temp. You should finish pretty quick. 1.075 to 1.010 is attainable in less than a week with no off flavors.

You can totally crank out a DIPA in a little over a couple weeks. That said I've made a few that took a little conditioning (in the keg in my case) to really shine.

Back