Tips for transporting a full keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrakeleyBrewing

Reaction score
I am going camping on Saturday, and plan on bringing a full keg of Witbier that I recently brewed. I have never transported a full keg before. Should I raise the pressure in the keg before disconnecting it? Also, will it be foamy for a while after I get there?

Also, the camp ground is only about 15 minutes from my house, so the keg will stay cold.

A 15 minute drive shouldn't really affect it. I have driven 2-3 hours before with minimal problems. Just let the keg sit for a little bit before dispensing, even though with a Wit clarity is not an issue.

Have you got a portable CO2 injector? A full keg is going to dribble out after the 6th beer or so without something to push it.

Kegs riding shotgun - to company christmas party - an altbier and a Bell's 2-hearted IPA clone - they came home empty

2011-12-24_at_14_16_30.jpg

I drove from Alberta, Canada to Los-Angeles and back with 2 kegs, full on the way down, half on the way back. I kept them pressurized at 12psi, no problem, no leaks.

Have you got a portable CO2 injector? A full keg is going to dribble out after the 6th beer or so without something to push it.

Yeah, I have a 5lb co2 tank. I plan on putting the keg in my 10 gallon Igloo mash tun, surrounded by ice, and have the co2 tank on the ground next to it. After reading everyone's post, i'm not too worried about it.

A 15 minute drive shouldn't really affect it. I have driven 2-3 hours before with minimal problems. Just let the keg sit for a little bit before dispensing, even though with a Wit clarity is not an issue.

Thanks, sounds good. I was more worried about the beer being nothing but foam for hours. I am going to get there a couple hours early anyway, so it should be good.

I didnt have any problems, they pulled us aside for about 45min to "pay duty". They finally gave us our passports and said have a nice day, we didnt end up having to pay anything. I think they just wanted to watch us and make sure we weren't trying to cover up anything big by declaring something small. I guess it wouldn't have cost much even if we had to pay.

Back