Tips for pouring malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbell525

Reaction score
Are there any less than obvious tips for getting as much of the malt out as possible? I like the NB kits better than Williams due to the jug, but I find it impossible to get "enough" of the malt out. Today I used max temp tap water to sanitize my fermenter and put the jug in there to warm it up. Still didn't seem like enough. How do you guys do it?

For todays brew, I starter with about 5.5 gal water and came out w/ a SG or 1.039 vs a 1.043 target. Should I be able to get closer? Or is that mainly due to the extra half gallon of water?

Ill put some hot boil water into the cans and shake it around some before pouring it back in...mostly I used dme though

i wouldn't try to read the gravity of an extract batch... due to the variables, it'll change depending on where you get the measurement from.

however, as for getting it out. i usually put the lid on my kettle and put the extract up top to heat it up... the only real way of getting everything out is to make everything hot in there, OR. keep flushing around with the wort in the kettle.
takes forever, but hoepfully you'll figure out a solution

Those NB jugs are great - I usually scoop out some of the hot water with a stainless steel measuring cup, pour it into the jug, recap, and shake for 30 secs or so. That way you get every drop out.

I also usually pour the extract into a big mixing bowl a couple minutes before adding to the pot. Then, after shaking the jug, I pour that hot water/extract out of the jug into the bowl and gently stir it all up. Once the extract is mixed with that little bit of water, it is very, very easy to pour out of the mixing bowl and into the kettle.

I pour some hot wort into the can & spin my paddle around in it like a mixer. Clean as a whistle. Or in your case shake it.

I set the lme in some warm water because it pours better. After i poor it all out I put some of the boiling water in the container and shake it like a polaroid picture, then dump back into the boil. Just be careful because the hot water will pop off the lid if you are not holding it tight. Hot water + skin = ouch! You have to get it all out!

Oh yeah - put hot water in the jug, squeeze some air out, THEN recap the slightly squished jug, and shake.

While I'm steeping my specialty grains, and beginning to heat the water in my main boil kettle, I place the tub of LME in another pot of hot water on the stove and keep it on medium heat. By the time I'm ready to use it the LME is nice and viscous enough to pour in easily. Then I just use a rubber spatula to scrape all but just some remnants out. Make sure if you do this to place a towel in the water between the bottom of the pot and the tub of LME to keep from melting the plastic.

I left the Northern Brewer container on my lid while coming up to a boil and rotated it every so often, then added hot water in and shook like crazy.

One guy at my homebrew club's brewday said to put the container right in the boil, I did a ful boil, but I would be afraid of it getting too hot. I've also seen it microwaved for a minute or so, but make sure to remove that foil cap.

Next time I might get it out of the container early so I can seperate the late addition out, and just add water to the bowl as stated above.

I crack the seal at the top of the NB jug, leave the cap on loosely and then heat it up for 4 minutes in the microwave at 30% power setting. The LME is heated up to about 80-90 degrees and pours much easier.

Back