Tips for a brewing assistant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveMN

Reaction score
I'm brewing a cream ale for a friend's birthday party (Spotted Cow clone) and he's coming to help brew today. Normally I brew alone, and I have my own anal-retentive process when I brew. So, I'm looking for tips on brewing with somebody else, other than don't drink until we start chilling. Any other suggestions?

Have him help stir when your mashing in, other little tasks he could help with like watching the boil while your cleaning your mash tun. Weighing ingredients, little simple tasks. I brew with a friend about 1/4 of the time and he brews as well but I really like to brew alone, love the solitude. He'll maybe he'll start brewing as well.

I do e-BIAB, so the process is pretty simple. I'm thinking he should do all the bag squeezing, and he can set the PID and hook up hoses; I'll just double check his work.

If you trust him make him sanitize everything. Or run and turn the hose on and off. Or dump the mash tun. Or clean the boil kettle. Yea, basically make him clean everything. All the jobs I'd rather not have to do... Haha.

I tried to let him do as much as possible, but mostly grunt work. He stirred the mash, squeezed the BIAB, read the refractometer (I double checked it), measured and added hops, helped prime the pump and move hoses around, and help disassemble and clean the BK. For my part, I kept track of the data and RDWHAHB'ed and enjoyed hanging out with a buddy for an afternoon. I may have to do this again.

Make the checklist and have him guide you through it. Allow him to participate as he wants - just guide him.

If my brother or a friend is helping, I always have them help stir in the grains. The other nice thing is they always volunteer to clean the MLT. Not that it is hard, it is just my least enjoyable part of the day.

I usually brew alone also. The last brew one of my sons wanted to learn so he helped and watched my process. It was great having him lift and pour the 5 gallon jugs of R/O water into the HLT for me!! He also stirred the mash, cleaned out the mash tun, learn about refractometer readings and other small things. He loved it and I enjoyed teaching him and having him help.

John

While the brew day went along, I also explained what was going on in the mash, the boil, hop additions, and sanitation.

Back