Time before Pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanbmc

Reaction score
Hello
I have a temp controller and am going to try to ferment my next IPA at 65 with Safale S-05 in my keggerator. I think my temps get too high where I keep it normally causing off-flavors.

My question is after I brew how long can I wait before I pitch the yeast? Can I put it in the carboy, airlock it, and put it in the keggerator and get it to 65 before pitching? That may take overnight, so I am worried about contamination.

I am sure high fermentation temps have to be the cause of my off-flavors, so I wanna try to get this right if I can. Thanks!

Sean

How are you cooling your wort? Once the wort gets down to around 100 you can move to your carboy and then put it in your kegerator. Once it gets to 65ish you can add your yeast. As long as everything is clean and sanitized if it takes overnight to cool to close to 65 you should be ok.

One way you can quickly bring your wort down to temp is by putting the container you boiled your wort into a container of ice water and stir. You will need a lot of ice. You can also use a immersion chiller to bring your wort down to temperature.

It has been done over and over. I just made a lager a month ago and couldnt get it chilled passed 78 degrees. So, put it into a bucket left it in the fridge for 12 hours only dropped it to 65 so decided to pitch anyways. Came out drinkable!

Yeah as long as the container is sealed correctly, you can let it cool for a while. I don't think overnight would be a big deal.

-Jeff

As long as the fermenter is clean and sanitized and you're not sucking in liquid from the airlock you can leave it for a day or two. I think lacto is usually one of the first culprits and multiplies quickly, but most won't be able to survive in an IPA due to IBU intolerance.

I use a wort chiller and ice to get it down. But usually it levels out around 77/78 after 20 minutes. Im sure it will slowly keep dropping, but I dont wanna keep running the sink after that.

I guess I could tweak the cooldown and have the pot in a larger bucket that could more water/ice. The sink does not hold that much water around the pot, so im not getting too much help with the ice.

Its good to know I can pitch in the morning though, thanks for the feedback all!

Sean

Back