Tilt hydrometer advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGoblin

Reaction score
Hi,
Im looking for your comments and experience using Tilt hydrometer please ?

From what ive read, its Bluetooth only not wifi.

Are you using an android tablet or pc with Bluetooth right beside your fermenter to track the tilt and backup in realtime his readings to google sheets ?

I have a google mesh wifi, but i would Have to leave either a pc or tablet right beside my fermentor, without energy saving mode on.

I saw there is some video tutorials on their website too. Im thinking to buy 2, to compare different yeast at the same time. Is this possible? I read i need to buy different colors

Let me know how you've done it !

Thanks,
Sebastien

Hey there, if you use the search function you should find lots of threads on the Tilt, but I can tell you about my experience. I've been using them since they were called the Brewometer.

I use an old iPad that sits on top of my fermentation chambers. There are some pics of the setup in my brewery build thread.

It's plugged in, and it needs to stay unlocked with the screen on for the Tilts to continuously upload data.

I was uploading the data to a Google spreadsheet, but now I just use the Brewer's Friend integration as I track all of my brewing there anyway.

Yes, you can run multiple Tilts, you just have to buy different colors as you say.

Keep in mind that these are not accurate enough (at least for me anyway) to toss our your regular hydrometers, but they are good for tracking trends and generally knowing when fermentation is done.

I'm using a Tilt in an SS Brew Bucket in a fridge. The Bluetooth reception has been fairly poor since moving to SS. I have an old smart phone sitting on the fridge pushing the data up to google sheets. You'll need different colors to track each brew. I'm very happy with the Tilt, especially since moving from BMB to SS since I can't see the activity anymore.

I have an old smart phone sitting on the fridge pushing the data up to google sheets. You'll need different colors to track each brew.
+1. I do exactly the same thing. They have uses, certainly, but the bottom line to me is that primary fermentation is over in 3-5 days, regardless of type, which relegates it more to "toy" status. Nifty, yes, and very useful for hoppy styles were freshness is key; great for NEIPAs. I have also found that it is not necessarily accurate - it does not agree with my calibrated hydrometer, but it is a great gauge of fermentation activity. When I see a stable SG reading for 36 hours, that tells me it is done, even if that value isn't the actual FG.

Are you using an android tablet or pc with Bluetooth right beside your fermenter to track the tilt and backup in realtime his readings to google sheets ?
I'm using a $10 Raspberry Pi Zero W (a few more bucks if you need a MicroSD card, case and power supply) and logging to brewstat.us for simplicity's sake.

Back