Tifu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlickTX

Reaction score
So I brewed a vanilla Porter in early June, kegged it around July 4th and left it in the closet for 5 weeks before it put it in the kegerator last night. Since this was my first time waiting like this I didn't know that fermentation would continue and HUGELY increase the pressure in the keg. When I hooked up the gas line and turned the lever it immediately began pushing foam out of the regulator and around the adjustment knob. Doh

Question is: can I just clean the one valve and not the other 3 or should I break the whole bank of regulators den and clean them all?

As long as the cylinder valve was turned on there's pretty near no chance beer got into the high pressure side, so you should be safe in cleaning just the one body...

Cheers!

Im having a hard time understanding here...you still had active fermentation after that many weeks? And you packaged it before it was done?

If fermentation was still happening in the keg, the it's not a tifu, it's about-five-weeks-ago-ifu. [emoji12]

But seriously - was gravity stable when you kegged? It's also possible that you took the beer from a nice fermentation temp controlled mid 60s fermentation chamber and just warming up added some pressure. Maybe? How hot was that closet?

Liquid can spread/seep against gas pressure. But the chance of much liquid going past the needle valve in the flooded regulator is indeed very small. Maybe you're lucky. Once it's open you can see if there are any drops of beer in the connection tubes, past the main body.

Latest posts

Back