Autumn Seasonal Beer Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've added pumpkin during the last few minutes of the boil. I think the only advantage to adding the pumpkin to the mash is to not have so much pumpkin absorbing liquid after the boil. If you add it to the boil, just account for additional loss in volume, I don't think you have to worry about anything else.

The reason that you add the pumpkin to the mash is to have the enzymes in the 2-row barley convert the starches in the pumpkin into fermentable sugars. I'd also worry about those same starches ending up in your beer if the pumpkin is simply boiled, as there is no enzymatic activity at the high temperature of a boil

just brewed this tonight. Was also my first time brewing ever. Think it went pretty smooth. Had 1 boil over(opps). I don't have a lot of head room left in my carboy, will that be as issue? Also seemed like my Gravity was a little high(1.15), hopefully that won't mess things up.

I'd double check that gravity... That's higher than a lot of wines OG.
Did you use the measurements for the 15 gallon batch and only use five gallons of water?
If that gravity is correct, what yeast are you using? Most strains will only ferment between 8-12% alcohol, whereas you have potential for over 16% in that wort. If you have another fermenter consider splitting the batch and topping off with water to a more appropriate gravity. (Whenever I make this my SG is between 1.06-1.07)

No kidding. I will double check when I get home I suppose.

I used 1318 London ale smack pack. Made it with a starter. Boiled with 3 gallons of water and added 3 once it was all in the carboy. ended up pouring a little out so there would be some head room. before adding the water I was at like 2.5. If it is still at 1.15 when I check later tonight, should I add water to get it down to 1.053?

I checked on it in the AM and it was bubbling over. Ran to menards and switched up my airlock to a blow-off setup.

Thanks,
Brian

beer.jpg

The reason that you add the pumpkin to the mash is to have the enzymes in the 2-row barley convert the starches in the pumpkin into fermentable sugars. I'd also worry about those same starches ending up in your beer if the pumpkin is simply boiled, as there is no enzymatic activity at the high temperature of a boil

Yes, but if you look at the recipes, the extract recipe says to bake the pumpkin and then add it at 60 minutes of the boil. You aren't baking the pumpkin when you are adding it to your mash when doing AG.

I brewed this 3 times last fall using the extract recipe and each time I first baked the pumpkin and then added it to my boil at 60 and each time my beer turned out great.

I just brewed up my first AG version of this recipe over the weekend doing BIAB. I just chose to use the same method with adding the pumpkin as I did brewing the extract versions as I didn't see there being any issue as to why I needed to mash the pumpkin. I just baked it the same way I had when brewing the extract version and added at 60 just like always. We'll see how it turns out I guess, but I don't see why it would be any different?

I bake the pumpkin in both recipes. The extract version risks some starch content. No worries...it adds body. The AG version is mashed high to keep body a bit sweet and full.

Hey Yuri. Im getting ready to brew this and was just wondering (since there are a crap load of pages) if the original recipe on page one for all grain is still the most current?

Just tried a pumpking last night and it was fantastic. Can't wait to try this one out.

Thanks!

Just tried a pumpking last night and it was fantastic. Can't wait to try this one out.

Thanks!

I don't know if you're looking for a Pumpking clone, but you won't be getting a Pumpking from this recipe. IMHO, this recipe is MUCH better than Pumpking... :mug:

Not necesarily looking for a pumpking just saying that it was delicious. It was the first pumpkin ale I had the chance to try.

Still really new at brewing and craft beer consuming. I have been missing alot!

This beer is amazing. I am getting ready to brew 11 gal. I brewed 5.5 gal last year and all I kept thinking was "I wished I had brewed 11".

Is there any difference in the amount of pumpkin that goes into an extract batch of Thunderstruck if Fresh Pumpkin is used in place of Canned Pumpkin? I know I'll only be using the "flesh" and have to account for that when getting pumpkins. Hope to brew this soon

Brewed this about two weeks ago, nailed pre-boil gravity (missed post boil by a full point 1.049) and after the second week gravity is holding steady at 1.023. I plain f-ed up the mash, temps were all over the place with hot spots everywhere and was battling temps the whole mash.

Long story short, would pitching more yeast do anything if I've got some unfermentables in there (I already know that's a dumb question, unfermentables isn't just a clever name)?

If pitching yeast wont do anything, how can I get that specific gravity down or maybe add some sugar to give it a little more kick in the pants abv wise (beer smith has the abv @ 3.4%)?

I have an issue also. Hope someone can answer this. I brewed this 5 days ago and have had no krausen It is bubbling but am confused about the lack of krausen. Can someone throw out some suggestions for what I may have done?

SK84 said:
Long story short, would pitching more yeast do anything if I've got some unfermentables in there (I already know that's a dumb question, unfermentables isn't just a clever name)?

If pitching yeast wont do anything, how can I get that specific gravity down or maybe add some sugar to give it a little more kick in the pants abv wise (beer smith has the abv @ 3.4%)?

If you used a low attenuating yeast like WLP002 (somewhere in the low 70% range), you may be able to pitch a higher attenuating yeast like WLP001 (US-05 in dry, forget the wyeast number) and get a few more points out of it. I wouldn't do it without some more fermentables and yeast energizer/nutrient though.

You can boost the alcohol with corn sugar and whatnot. I might say do a blending batch that is super fermentable and match them together. Play with it a little.

Good luck

rdneckbrew said:
I have an issue also. Hope someone can answer this. I brewed this 5 days ago and have had no krausen It is bubbling but am confused about the lack of krausen. Can someone throw out some suggestions for what I may have done?

What's the yeast you used? What temperature is it at? I would check the gravity personally to see how it's doing

Us-04 and pitched it at 68. Thought that might have been the issue so brought it up to 72 ish. I will check the gravity when I get home.

If you used a low attenuating yeast like WLP002 (somewhere in the low 70% range), you may be able to pitch a higher attenuating yeast like WLP001 (US-05 in dry, forget the wyeast number) and get a few more points out of it. I wouldn't do it without some more fermentables and yeast energizer/nutrient though.

You can boost the alcohol with corn sugar and whatnot. I might say do a blending batch that is super fermentable and match them together. Play with it a little.

Good luck

Totally my fault, I didn't adjust for the fermentation when reading the refractometer. Adjusted gravity is 1.007 which means this thing is good to go. Definitely had a DUH moment this afternoon when I realized my error!

Getting ready to brew the extract version of this on Monday. Been drinking Schafly Pumpkin Ale in preparation for the brew day.

I just transferred mine to my carboy to get it off the trub (over a gallon left in my fermenting bucket...). It had been 10 days in the fermentor and my FG was spot on at 1.018! :) I had sprinkled some of the Pampered Chef Cinnamon Plus along with some brown sugar onto my pumpkin when I was baking it and man did my sample taste freaking good without even adding the Cinnamon Plus tea yet! I'm debating on whether I even need the tea or not it was so good! :mug:

Hey beamar, any updates on how your batch came out? I legged mine that I brewed two weeks ago, hit awesome efficiency numbers and ended up with 7% abv and four bottles that wouldn't fit in the keg (might try entering them into a competition)

Does anyone have their grain bill handy for a 5 or 6 gal recipe? I tried using the scale method in beer smith, and it does not seem even close to being right. It actually added more flaked wheat, and there was almost 3 lbs. of C60 in there. Is that right? Almost 30% Crystal in this recipe? I tried working it out and this is what I came up with. I need to brew this ASAP to get it aging for fall. The wife is hounding me to make it too haha.

Here is my grain bill so far in BeerSmith:

OG: 1.057 SRM: 17.2 IBU: 14

6.5 lbs 2-Row
2.5 lbs C60
2 lbs. Biscuit (seems like it would be too "bready" with this amount)
1 lb. Flaked wheat

60 oz. roasted canned pumpkin.

Does this seem close? To me it seems like too much Biscuit malt and still maybe too much C60.
The whole thing seems outta whack to me.
Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Brewed this up today. Had a beautiful orange color in the "gravity cylinder". Can't wait to to get this in my belly!!!

I'm bottling up batch #1 for the season tonight! Tastes like a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks! :mug:

Here's what I've done for my last three 5+ gallon batches:

7# us-2row
1/2# flaked wheat
1.75# crystal 60
1# biscuit
84 ounces fresh pumpkin (baked until caramelized and added to mash)

I also add a pound of molasses to the end of the boil. Usually end up between 1.06 and 1.07 or OG

Here's what I've done for my last three 5+ gallon batches:

7# us-2row
1/2# flaked wheat
1.75# crystal 60
1# biscuit
84 ounces fresh pumpkin (baked until caramelized and added to mash)

I also add a pound of molasses to the end of the boil. Usually end up between 1.06 and 1.07 or OG

Thanks for the reply. Ill be brewing this next week for sure.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I use a half pound of rice hulls as well, otherwise you'll stick your sparge with that much pumpkin

Just brewed this and set in my fermentor on Saturday. Water absorption of the pumpkin threw off my volume. I'll make a note to add more water next time. Smells great. Thanks for the recipe Yuri!

Hi all! A buddy and I will be making the extract version of this brew this weekend! How much water should we start with if we're going to do a full boil 6 gallon batch in my 10 gallon stainless brew kettle? BeerSmith estimates about 7.5 gallons. Does that sound about right?

SteveLSU75 said:
I have WLP001 yeast available and am planning on using it for this beer. Is this okay to do?

I don't see why it would be a problem. The S-04 is a clean British strain and the WLP002 puts off low levels of fruity esters (one of my favorite yeasts). If you are mashing, I might bump the temp up 2 degrees because the WLP001 attenuated really well every time over used it.

Hi all! A buddy and I will be making the extract version of this brew this weekend! How much water should we start with if we're going to do a full boil 6 gallon batch in my 10 gallon stainless brew kettle? BeerSmith estimates about 7.5 gallons. Does that sound about right?

I'd say you should be good with that...

Does anyone have their grain bill handy for a 5 or 6 gal recipe? I tried using the scale method in beer smith, and it does not seem even close to being right. It actually added more flaked wheat, and there was almost 3 lbs. of C60 in there. Is that right? Almost 30% Crystal in this recipe? I tried working it out and this is what I came up with. I need to brew this ASAP to get it aging for fall. The wife is hounding me to make it too haha.

Here is my grain bill so far in BeerSmith:

OG: 1.057 SRM: 17.2 IBU: 14

6.5 lbs 2-Row
2.5 lbs C60
2 lbs. Biscuit (seems like it would be too "bready" with this amount)
1 lb. Flaked wheat

60 oz. roasted canned pumpkin.

Does this seem close? To me it seems like too much Biscuit malt and still maybe too much C60.
The whole thing seems outta whack to me.
Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks!
I tried to convert the recepie over to a 5 gallon batch and after playing with it for a while this is what I came up with.

Type: All Grain Date: 9/14/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Brewer: Foxfire Brewing
Boil Size: 7.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Foxfire Brewing
End of Boil Volume 5.75 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal Est Mash Efficiency 85.1 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients
Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs 14.0 oz Canned Pumpkin (3.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 16.5 %
2 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 2 11.5 %
7 lbs 14.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 45.3 %
2 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Cargill) (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 12.9 %
1 lbs 13.0 oz Biscuit (Dingemans) (22.5 SRM) Grain 5 10.4 %
9.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 6 3.3 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 15.8 IBUs
0.17 tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (Boil 0.0 mins) Spice 8 -
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [124.21
ml] Yeast 9 -
Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.067 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.023 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.7 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 15.8 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 17.1 SRM

Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %

That is usually a reading you get right before bottling. ...'smidge light on the hops? I'd add the spice at the end of the boil and look through a couple of the threads.

My spices always seem to get lost/not come through. That is OK though if you are looking for subtle flavors.

See the other posts at the bottom of the page....

Me and a friend brewed 10 gallons of this last night using BIAB and scaled the 15 gallon recipe by .66 for measurements. We ended up with only 1.04 gravity after boil, however. Most of that is probably due to not having enough room in the sparge pot and maybe not stirring the grains enough. How bad is it to be off by that much and is there anything to do to help counter this? I was thinking maybe I could make a really strong 1 gallon steep of some grains and add it to the secondary or maybe add more sugar or something. Any help is welcome! Thanks!

I add two pounds of molasses in my five gallon batches for some extra fermentables, comes out great and helps make the finish a little dryer. I've been very happy with this adjunct in previous batches if you are looking to bump your OG up a bit. I typically add it at five minutes left in the boil

46binder said:
Wish I started this earlier, just racked to secondary, already tastes great.

Don't worry, this one is great young. I went 13 days grain to glass on the last batch. Just make sure you oxegenate your wort and pitch a nice big starter.

Don't worry, this one is great young. I went 13 days grain to glass on the last batch. Just make sure you oxegenate your wort and pitch a nice big starter.

Damn, I thought I was fast going about 21 days from grain to glass. I usually wait about 10-14 days in primary before I bottle though...

Back