Thunder Group 40 qt stainless stock pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxp

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Thunder Group 40 qt stainless stock pot and happen to know the dimensions? The numbers listed various places online (10" x 22") are nonsensical, producing a pot that is only 30 qts and over twice as tall as it is wide. How is the pot for brewing?

Thanks; I am mostly concerned about the diameter since I am restricting myself to the stove top (for now) but also wanted a three ply bottom to reduce odds of scorching.

I decided that the Thunder Group pot was probably an alternately branded version of the Winware 40 qt pot of the same price and appearance so assumed those dimensions. A 15.75" diameter base is too big so I settled with the Vollrath 3509 Optio 38 qt pot which has a 14.125" diameter base.

While a 3 ply bottom has more even heat transfer, might be a tad slower and boil less overall than a non clad or aluminum pot on the stove. Clad bottom IMO is better suited to cooking than brewing. Unless of course you have a HD professional stove, then no worries.

Back