Thumbs up to Nottingham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JtotheA

Reaction score
Definitely newb, but after trying all sorts of yeasts (from hefe to champagne, even cider yeast) with storebought juice, Nottingham really leaves it tasting the sweetest. I think I found a new friend;) and I can't believe it took me so long since everyone talks about Nottingham! All the other newbs like me take note! Notty fermented cool has been my best stuff yet. Definitely sweet enough at 1.01. Some may call it too sweet, but sweet is what I'm shooting for obviously. And with no backsweetening. The funky yeasty taste is gone after racking it at 1.02 and cold crashing it for a week before bottling it since I don't have a keg. I know pickled_pepper knows what I'm talking about;) And again, this has only been with juice from the store. Notty is the sh...tuff;)

notty has always been a high attenuator for me and I kinda consider it a go-to yeast when I want an IPA with little sweetness left. 1.010 is definitely on the dry side.

...and by sweet, I mean the appley goodness is still there like a JK Scrumpy;)

1.01 is normally definitely dry to me too if we're talking numbers, but there is quite the residual sweetness like you had mentioned.

1.010 is not at all dry for a cider. 995 is dry for a cider. 1.005 is where I like em.

I actually had stepped it back from champagne and cider yeasts to sweet mead and hefe yeasts, and that is where I ended up at the Notty. So in my case, it might have been the lowest attentuator that I've tried.

All hail the Notty! :rockin: Especially since I found a place near me that sells it at $1.45 a pack! :D

Back