Thrift Store Score.... Beer flutes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlainD

Reaction score
There is a small church run thrift store I check out sometimes seeing as I am broke student and slightly obsessed with finding a good deal. Often I find Sweet Steins or Mugs from Germany because this is an army town with German immigrants and guys that brought them back as souvenirs since WW2. These are by far the best find.

20120224_095931.jpg

Don't care how much money I have, I still like finding good deals. NICE FIND

Don't care how much money I have, I still like finding good deals. NICE FIND

There were three more but they were Beck's and Warsteiner and another beer I didn't know but the label wasn't as impressive... My wife is already annoyed at my growing collection of beer drinking apparatuses so I only got these three. Starting to regret it.

Goodwill has been good to me... Found a Kvak glass with the wooden stand, a Koningshoeven goblet, a Ommegang goblet and a few other scattered treasures...

I found these beauties at The Last Chance Mercantile, the thrift store at the regional dump. Rainier and Olympia aren't remarkable, but they're the hometown brews my dad would drink while mowing the lawn when I was a kid. Oly was the first beer I ever tasted (it reminded me of soap).

I felt compelled to get them because I was amazed than anyone thought these beers were good enough to deserve logo glassware, plus it was amusing to randomly find logo glasses for these beers at a thrift store in central California.

All my other fancy beerware has been given to me by SWMBO.

6890-beerglasses.jpg

I find great stuff at the local Salvation Army and St. Vincent's. I get all of my tulips and snifters, as well as some awesome mugs and goblets. My girlfriend even found me a Chimay goblet for a $1 there. Since these are things I like to drink out of, and since I live with a bunch of dudes, I refuse to buy beer glassware anywhere else. It all ends up broken!

The best stuff in the Good will & Salvation army stores around here never make it to the shelves. And they brag about to boot.:mad:

Last weekend my sister and I hit 3 different Goodwill stores and between them I found these 6 glasses.... I paid .99 cents each for 5 of them and one was $1

I don't know what the style of glass is called but I love them... they each hold 20 oz. of beer :ban:

glass_4.jpg

I now have a valid reason to visit my local thrift stores :)

I was looking at an asparagus pot to make a hopback out of... Bed Bath and Beyond had them for $20... Found one at Goodwill for $4... Never know what you will find there...

Saw a very nice 10gal pot at a Salvation Army store... Sadly it was before they officially opened and they wouldn't sell it to me...

WTF is an asparagus pot?

I used to hit up the goodwill shops a lot more than I do nowadays. I ought to be going more as there is one that is walking distance from my house, and I actually walk past it to get scones for my wife in the morning.

In all honesty, I am not an asparagus aficionado. However, I was looking for a tall, stainless vessel to turn into a hopback... If I could have only found a way to make the lid pressure tight, it would have worked... Got me a pressure cooker instead...

:mug:

I love the thrift store for beer glasses. I got a couple of big Upper Canada Brewing Company steins, a nice Hoegaarden Grand Cru glass and an Old Speckled Hen pint glass. I go all the time to make sure I get the good glasses.

I can attest to the savings at Goodwill here in Seattle. I have gotten all of this ridiculously inexpensively saving literally hundreds:

image-2641862097.jpg

image-1053958742.jpg

image-748880112.jpg

image-1741051267.jpg

image-232876580.jpg

image-1060624650.jpg

I've got a ton of belgian goblets and steins, but I came across this a few months back and it's probably my favorite thrift store find.

flute.jpg

I will be hitting up both goodwill and salvation army at lunch now. Thanks for the motivation.

Originally Posted by weirdboy
So, you put, like, 3 pounds of asparagus spears in there to blanch? I always pan-roast or grill my asparagus

Off topic, but +1.

+2 drizzle with olive oil, balsamic glaze, sea salt....toss around a bit, grill or broiler...hmmmm

PS ROSS is your friend for glassware...you can get a bargin on beer or wine glass...go once a week and usually find a great deal every other time.

Back