thoughts or suggestions on recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsmitty

Reaction score
Went and got stuff for my next brew! Not sure what really to categorize it as. Really just pieced it together with some stuff I already had figured maybe someone could give input or advice? Ok so this is what I've got.... 6.5 lbs us2 row, 1lb honey malt, 1lb flaked wheat, 1lb caravienna paired with magnum hops and us05 yeast. So what u think?

was thinking about maybe cuttin back on the honey malt a tad, and goin for a honey blonde ale.

Personally, I'd scale the honey malt and caravienna back. You have over 20% crystal malt in there, plus the flaked wheat... it's gonna be a sweet beer.

Might be o.k. - but it sounds like you think that adding more and more different grains will equal a better taste. Like Wonderbread23 said, cut back on those specialty grains. 1lb of caravienna really jumped out at me and is a hell of a lot - way too much IMO. If I was forced to use your grain bill, I would mash at a low temp (around 150), and bitter it quite a bit - 50IBU's or more, plus lots of late hop additions and dry hops to counteract all that sweetness.

thanks guys, u think cuttin back to .5 lb of honey malt and carevienna would be better or is that still a lil too much? was just trying to use what i had on hand to make a decent beer. figured more grain more alc. haha. thats one reason i went with the magnum hops to try and counter the sweetness a lil.

thanks guys, u think cuttin back to .5 lb of honey malt and carevienna would be better or is that still a lil too much? was just trying to use what i had on hand to make a decent beer. figured more grain more alc. haha. thats one reason i went with the magnum hops to try and counter the sweetness a lil.

personally i would ditch the wheat completely or back to maybe 6 ounces. honey malt is very interesting stuff but yeah .5 lb of each would be better than a full pound. .5 isn't too much either from my experience.

Back