Thoughts on using these to store harvested yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
I can get these relatively inexpensive and they are pharmacy grade. Any thoughts on storing yeast in them from the "simple washing" procedure...santize and dump in from fermenter? They are 12 oz (can get up to 16 oz size)

Thanks

20161118_131148.jpg

Im not sure what "pharmacy grade" is, I would imagine in the same line as food grade.
Does the bottle have any markings on the bottom that may help indicate the type of plastic used?

I'm a pharmacist, and they are the same bottles we use for dispensing medications. So, assuming they are food grade. They have the triangle with a "1"

The triangle with a 1 does not indicate food grade. That indicates that the bottle is made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET or PETE), which is a basic polyester (think soda bottles).

Food grade is indicated by the fork and wine glass symbol (at least that is the international symbol).

Pharmaceutical grade would meet USP <661>.

You would be fine using these, but I would think the narrow neck would not be convenient. You'd need a funnel for transfer in. I use wide-mouthed mason jars. They're easy to sanitize, fill, and clean.

200px-EU_food_contact_material_symbol.svg.png

Should be good. Get a stainless funnel for the transfers. Make sure you leave the cap loose or burp them periodically, but the PET will handle a decent amount of pressure.

Back