Thoughts on two beers for a moving party?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylja06

Reaction score
Posted this over on BA, but wanted to get thoughts here as well!

Both are, somewhat dramatically if you're being super strict about style, altered versions of recipes I've enjoyed in the past. They are meant to be simple, with lots of aroma hopping rather than straight bitterness. It's a Cali Common with Rye, and a Cream Ale with Lemon Peel.

"Maryland" Common
Fermentables
6.6lb Rye LME (Briess)
2lb Pilsen Malt
1lb Victory
1lb Acidulated
1lb C20 (Minimash)

Hop Schedule
60 minute boil
60 - 1oz Northern Brewer
15 - 1oz Northern Brewer
10 - 1oz Northern Brewer
05 - 1oz Northern Brewer
00 - 1oz Northern Brewer

Dry-Hop
2 weeks with 1oz Northern Brewer

Yeast / Fermentation
WLP 810 San Francisco Lager @ 62F.
Let ferment in primary for 3 weeks.
Transfer to keg for 2 week carb.

Estimates
50 IBU
4.9% ABV
9 SRM
1.055 OG
1.018 FG
0.91 IBU / OG

Lemon Cream Ale
Fermentables
6.6lb Pilsen Light LME (Briess)
2lb Pilsen Malt
1lb Flaked Maize (mini-mash)

Hop Schedule

60 minute boil
15 - 2oz Amarillo, 1oz Lemon Peel
10 - 1oz Amarillo
05 - 1oz Amarillo
00 - 1oz Amarillo

Dry-Hop
2 weeks with 1oz Amarillo and 1oz Lemon Peel

Yeast / Fermentation
WLP 810 San Francisco Lager @ 62F.
Let ferment in primary for 3 weeks.
Transfer to keg for 2 week carb.

Estimates
44 IBU
5.1 ABV
2 SRM
1.058 OG
1.019 FG
0.77 IBU/OG

Thoughts / critique?

The thing that stands out most to me is the huge amount (20%) of acidulated malt in the mash portion of your common. What's up with that? You're going to drive the pH of the mash WAY down with such a high quantity, thereby getting poor conversion (in which case, why do the PM at all?), and probably sour your mash noticeably.

Other than that, though, both recipes look pretty good. My personal preference for dry hopping is a shorter period of time, just to get a really good aroma contribution without the grassiness, but that's a matter of individual taste.

Admittedly I keep the acidulated malt there as it was in the original malt bill for the beer. Only changes are from Sparkling Amber to Rye otherwise. It's more to make sure I have a similar beer to what the guy originally tasted and enjoyed, while amping up aromatics and adding a rye twist.

From a technical standpoint though, you're entirely right and I agree. While I like the sour mash start to a common for some reason, it's not what I'd enter in a competition or such, and conversion will be less than ideal (still, I believe, better than the estimated 7% on just steeping).

Grassiness is definitely a concern, especially with the light bill, but I'm not as worried since this was just a "hey, remember this beer I brewed for you two years ago when you moved in? I made it a little better!" type of deal. Although since I'd like to continue to brew these as house standbys if they get good reception, it's certainly a matter to consider. Ideally I'd do a 3-5 day dry hop, but want to make sure it clarifies nicely before hitting the keg.

Thanks! Any more opinions are much appreciated!

Back