Thoughts on this SMASH recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roflbrew

Reaction score
Wanted to do something simple. This is a SMASH + East Kent Goldings English IPA recipe - feedback much appreciated!

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

6.52 gal Distilled Water
10.00 g Gypsum
1.5 g Chalk
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient

7 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8 SRM) - split into 3 then 4 lbs late addition
2 oz East Kent Goldings - Boil 60 mins (36.5 IBUs)
1 Whirlfloc Tablet - Boil 15 mins
1 oz East Kent Goldings - Boil 15 mins (9.1 IBUs)
1 oz East Kent Goldings - Flameout (0 IBUs)

2 oz East Kent Goldings - Dry hop 7 Days

Wyeast #1335 (British Ale II) with 1 L starter pitched @ 68F, raised to 70F after 4 days. Leave in fermenter for 4 weeks then cold crash and keg.

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %
Bitterness: 53.0 IBUs
Est Color: 7.1 SRM

Looks like a good one to me. I just did a Marris Otter 2-Row and Amarillo smash with Cal Lager yeast. My goal was 1.060 OG, 5.5% ABV and 30-40 IBU for comparison. I wanted a lighter beer with less hops than the heavy IPA's I've been making and one that I could really identify where my malt flavors were coming from. I was thinking of a session ale, but added more grain and hops in the end making it more of an IPA.

I thought of making a single malt batch when I was doing extract. If I hadn't switched to AG I'd have definitely done one just to identify the taste of a specific extract. Same difference though with Extract or AG as far as making something with fewer ingredients to identify flavors.

Back