Thoughts on Strata, Nugget IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbwaterdog

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an abundance of Nugget hops from our farm and was originally planning to do a Nugget SMaSH, but I have a boat load of strata leftover. I recently brewed a PA with Kveik yeast that I cultured from a can and it came out excellent. So, I'm hoping to use what I have to make a nice clean, fruity, dank IPA with a little experimenting involved. I'd appreciate any feedback on the following recipe, particularly the hop schedule.

Style: American IPA
Size: 5 gal
Boil Time: 90 min

Mash @ 152 for 60 min

Yeast: Kveik (cultured from can)

Grain Bill:
Pilsner UK (10 pounds, 62.5%)
2-row US (5 pounds, 31.3%)
Caramel/Crystal 10L (1 pound, 6.3%)

Hop Schedule:
Nugget (Whole Cone) - 1 oz. @ 60 min
Strata (Pellet) - 1 oz. @ 10 min
Nugget (Whole Cone) - 1 oz. @ 5 min
Strate (Pellet) - 2 oz. whirlpool @ 180 deg F for 20 min.

El Dorado (Pellet) – 2 oz. @ 14 days
Strata (Pellet) – 3 oz. @ 14 days

I can vary the quantity of each of the above ingredients, but I also have some Newport hops and LAIII in the quiver.

Thanks for the input!

Hi all,

I have an abundance of Nugget hops from our farm and was originally planning to do a Nugget SMaSH, but I have a boat load of strata leftover. I recently brewed a PA with Kveik yeast that I cultured from a can and it came out excellent. So, I'm hoping to use what I have to make a nice clean, fruity, dank IPA with a little experimenting involved. I'd appreciate any feedback on the following recipe, particularly the hop schedule.

Style: American IPA
Size: 5 gal
Boil Time: 90 min

Mash @ 152 for 60 min

Yeast: Kveik (cultured from can)

Grain Bill:
Pilsner UK (10 pounds, 62.5%)
2-row US (5 pounds, 31.3%)
Caramel/Crystal 10L (1 pound, 6.3%)

Hop Schedule:
Nugget (Whole Cone) - 1 oz. @ 60 min
Strata (Pellet) - 1 oz. @ 10 min
Nugget (Whole Cone) - 1 oz. @ 5 min
Strate (Pellet) - 2 oz. whirlpool @ 180 deg F for 20 min.

El Dorado (Pellet) – 2 oz. @ 14 days
Strata (Pellet) – 3 oz. @ 14 days

I can vary the quantity of each of the above ingredients, but I also have some Newport hops and LAIII in the quiver.

Thanks for the input!
Any update on this brew? I like the idea of using the always underrated Nugget hops with Strata. My thought is that the Nugget will chill out the juiciness and really bring out the dankness of the Strata.

Back