Thoughts on Sterling hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chromebrew

Reaction score
I recently bought a pound of whole leaf Sterling that was said to be this past years harvest. I made a 2 row Smash to really familiarize myself with this strain. Well i just bottled and i find the results to be kind of off putting. It tastes to me like a simple bittering hop with little to no bouquet. Also it made an usual mess of my brew by leaving a whole bunch of these hair like structures. It was bad, i havent seen that with the other whole leaf hops ive used. I dont get any floral notes or really anything to distinguish it from a general bittering hop. I am pretty bummed about it. Is it possible i was sent some bunk hops? How do you guys feel about Sterling?

This didnt seem to catch anyone's eye :) i went ahead and bottled it. My smash tastes ok. Its a good beer, but i get nothing floral or herbal from this hop. I guess it is not my cup of tea, glad i did it though. I learned i dont care much for this variety. Since im just kinda chatting with myself here ill make a side note. I suggest you guys take a look at all the cheap bulk hops you can buy on Ebay. I found it suprising, the selection and prices you can find. Ive been smashing it up lately. Cheers guys!

Thanks for the update!

I'm sorry you had an unfortunate experience with Sterling - it is one of my favorite hops, especially for Belgians!!!
People compare it to saaz, and I get some of that from it, but I also get a nice herbal/slightly citrus note from the hop that really pairs well with 3787 - I use whole Sterling hops in my hop-back for my tripel and it really adds a nice touch. I have dry hopped with it once and that particular beer had a musty aroma to go along with herbal/perfume'y I get from it in the boil.

I think you may have gotten an old/mistreated lot of hops. I tend to only buy my hops from a couple different places online where I know the kind of quality I'm paying for - so I don't mind paying a bit extra for them.

I would give them another shot sometime!

Maybe the cheap bulk hops i was excited about did me wrong. I do a lot of Belgians so i should have plenty of opportunity to give it another go. Ill just put the rest of this pound out for aging. Ive been needing some lambic hops anyway.

I'm also a Sterling fan. Definitely similar to Saaz. Spicy, not floral, and neither Saaz or Sterling will give you the aroma wallop that many of the new American varieties do. Definitely a more subtle hop - but more than the traditional noble varieties. I find when I do a First wort hop addition with it I can get a faint citrus note as well

Latest posts

Back