thoughts on RIS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
Next week I plan on making a nice big RIS to have ready for my bday this fall. I'm trying to finish off some hops in it, so its a bit hoppier than I'd normally go for. Let me know if you have any suggestions/concerns

5gal batch
1.100 OG, 1.02 FG, 85 IBUs

10lbs Marris Otter (50%)
3lbs Munich 10 (15%)
2lbs Flaked Barley (10%)
1.5lbs Roasted Barley (7.5%)
1.5lbs Pale Chocolate (7.5%)
1lb Special B (5%)
1lb D2 (5%)

1oz Warrior @60
2oz Willamette @60
1oz Warrior @10
2oz Willamette @10

2oz med oak soaked in red wine

Wy1318 yeast cake, plus some WLP530 cake after a few days to help further attenuate

mash @150, boil 90mins, ferment @64 6weeks, age in keg w/ oak til fall

I've never messed with oaking, but the grain bill and hops look pretty good. My RIS uses a lb of Special B as well, and you definitely get pretty pronounced dried fruit profile from it. Should be plenty complex and pretty amazing with some aging.

Looks fantastic to me as well. My personal preference is to drop the flaked a little and use some wheat malt cause I love the body it gives, but that's just picking hairs.

Thanks for the go ahead on this guys. I'm debating on mixing in some black patent for part of the roasted barley. any thoughts?

A lot of people like it, I personally MUCH prefer the type of roast you get from roasted barley. Black patent is like cigarettes as far as I am concerned. But that doesn't mean you won't enjoy it.

Think back to commercial stouts you've had and pull up some clone recipes.

yea, i have the same feeling with it, but i didnt know if i went like 1-1.25lb roasted and 0.25-0.5lb black if it'd add more depth without making it ashy.

the clone recipes i like are all over the place, all roasted, all black, or a mix

What grain makes a beer (specifically a stout) smooth? I just tried the latest Sam Adams RIS (Five Crown) and it's insanely smooth. There's this almost malted milk like taste that coats your mouth like none other. I don't think it's oatmeal; I've had them (Oatmeal Stouts) before. I've made a couple stouts, and tried many, and not all of them are so smooth. Irish Stouts, for instance, I find quite dry. Anyone want to chime in with that magic ingredient?

could be the high FG, lactose/malto, or lots of flaked barley. i havent tried that one to know

any thoughts on flaked barley vs oats or half n half? any other suggestions before i pick up the grains tomorrow?

Latest posts

Back