Thoughts on PC water containers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msayler

Mister Sayler
Reaction score
Howdy, all. I found a set of 4 "Addipure" polycarbonate water jugs at a local resale shop, new in a box, for $3 each. They're like the big Ozarka-style ones, but with a 2.8 gallon capacity:

1YaADOY.jpg

T6sw85l.jpg

Of the two holes, the larger one has a gasketed cap with a little threaded post that I could probably just find a corresponding small cap and seal it up, or get some of those orange carboy caps and replace it entirely. The smaller hole's cap is not gasketed and doesn't seal well, but the hole itself does fit a #6 drilled stopper very nicely:

aquAKYC.jpg

I'm still getting my brewing sea-legs, so I thought if these were suitable for fermenting, I could do a number of 2 to 2.5 gallon batches and not get stuck with a ton of beer that I might screw up (or might not like). For example, right now I have 40+ bottles of really terrible IPA that I massively over-hopped and then oxidized during the transfer to secondary; it would have been nice to minimize that "lesson" with a smaller batch.

Any thoughts on using these for fermenting in?

You know, looking at the design of these, I wonder if the handle part will be an impossible PitA to clean kraeusen and wort funk out of? Lord only knows I don't need more cleaning woes on bottling day...

Back