Thoughts on my american weizenbock..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npray

Reaction score
I would like some input on my recipe for my american weizenbock.

3 gallon batch

OG 1.068

3lbs organic wheat
2lbs munich 10L
1lb pale malt
1lb breiss weizen dme
.25oz cenntenial at 60min
.75oz cenntenial at 10min
60min boil
safale us-05
mashed @148 for 90min
fermentor temp @64

it is currently in the fermentor and i would like to get some others thoughts on how this will turn out.

Interesting take on weizenbock.

Running it through Brewer's Friend, I get FG 1019, IBU 33, SRM 8.

Had I been doing it, I would probably have used dark Munich, rather than light, and certainly would have used a wheat beer yeast (e.g. WB-06, Wyeast 3333, Wyeast 3944).

Still, there's nothing really wrong with doing it this way, and I think that you'll come out with a good, light-bodied wheat beer with some citrusy flavors. When you open it, post how it turned out.

I bottled it friday and my FG is 1.010... i can't wait to crack one open in a few weeks. this is my first non hoppy beer, i'm a bit of a hop head :D

Personally with a light body malt bill and high ABV with low bitterness this might be pretty alcohol forward, especially mashed at 148F which will produce a dry beer as evident by your FG 1.010. Personally I always include either flaked wheat or oats in my wheat recipes to give body and I always use Wheat Beer yeast to give it that nice clove/banana aroma and cloudy appearance. That said this should turn out fine as a first attempt and should be a nice drinker.

It is pretty malty with a touch of citrus, very good for a first try. next time i will add some flaked wheat, mash around 152 and dry hop with 1oz of centennial.
thanks for the input.. i wasn't going for the banana and clove, wanted more of an american wheat.

I don't think I'd call it a weizenbock without using bock yeast, but I'm sure it's a good beer. I would mash a little higher 152-154 is where I usually mash my wheat beers, might be a good tweak for next time.

Pleased to hear that it turned out well.

Flaked wheat is going to give you protein cloudiness, turning it into a more of a witbock than a weizenbock. Smoother mouthfeel. You could even use flaked oats or flaked rye.

If you want to experiment some, Wyeast 1010 (Widmer) is a reasonably neutral wheat yeast. Wyeast 3944 (Celis) is very lightly clove-y. You could also try a more flocculent American ale yeast, like Wyeast 1332 (Hales), or even a relatively neutral British strain, like Wyeast 1084 (Guinness).

Subbed. I love me some wheat beers, and this might be one to tinker around with(that and all I have atm are 3 gallon fermenters).

-Kingboomer

Back