Thoughts on False Bottom WITHOUT dip tube for Boil Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apulver

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I'm looking to get a 10 gallon SS stockpot with weldless fittings to use as a boilkettle -- just now upgrading to do full-boil extract brews. I use whole leaf hops exclusively, and an immersion chiller.

One of my local brew shops sells a custom-built false bottom that fits the BK nice and snug. My though would be to use it to filter out the hops/break just like a bazooka screen but with less chance of clogging due to the break from my IC.

The false bottom would sit ABOVE the ball valve opening and has NO HOLE FOR A DIP TUBE. And there is a handle welded onto the false bottom that would likely prevent me from drilling a hole for one. The guy at the brew shop suggested I could just transfer wort as normal through the ball valve opening and then tip the entire pot as it nears the bottom to minimize loss.

Any thoughts/suggestions on this? Am I setting myself up for problems? I will be brewing between 5 and 7 gallon batches.

your call, if your ok with tipping your pot each time then i see no problems. It will get old tipping it each time, so why not buy a dip tube as well?

There's nothing wrong with that. Since my pot is straight-sided I was able to get the bulkhead veerrrry close to the bottom, so I didn't worry about a diptube. I get almost no loss. If you have a similar design or you don't mind tipping for ten seconds, save yourself $20 and skip it.

You're not running a pump, so a dip tube is not as effective anyway. A false bottom with leaf hops will work great.
Be brave - skip the extract and move on to all-grain.

Great, thanks for the responses! :mug: It sounds like it's not a necessity, but I could always install a dip tube underneath the false bottom, which would have the same effect of saving wort. For now I'll just leave it be

As far as all grain... it 's totally going to happen, just need (1) $$$ and (2) a little more free time (... I have two young kids at home :D)

Great, thanks for the responses! :mug: It sounds like it's not a necessity, but I could always install a dip tube underneath the false bottom, which would have the same effect of saving wort. For now I'll just leave it be

As far as all grain... it 's totally going to happen, just need (1) $$$ and (2) a little more free time (... I have two young kids at home :D)

BIAB, cost ya six bucks . . . but saves $$$ for a false bottom

Back