Thoughts on DIPA (Huell Melon, Mandarin Bavaria + ?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kossu

Reaction score
Hi!

I read some topics on using Huell Melon and Mandarin Bavaria on this forum. I'm currently looking to make DIPA with intense tangerine/citrusy taste. I got 100g of both Mandarin Bavaria and Huell Melon and loads of other hops too. My target is to make 10 liters (2.64 gallons) of the DIPA and looking to have 80-90 IBU. The huge number on IBU comes from using around 60g (2.11 oz) of hops:

• 10 g Huell Melon Pellet 7.2 Boil 60 min 12.64
  • 10 g Citra Pellet 11 Boil 60 min 19.3
  • 10 g Mandarina Bavaria Pellet 8.5 Boil 60 min 14.92
  • 10 g Huell Melon Pellet 7.2 Boil 30 min 9.71
  • 10 g Citra Pellet 11 Boil 30 min 13.49
  • 10 g Mandarina Bavaria Pellet 8.5 Boil 30 min 10.42

I understood that Huell and Mandarin bavaria go together quite well, but has anyone thoughts on throwing in Citra also? Or any ideas how much is too much for an DIPA? :D

Hop additions are too early imo.
Use more hops later on and get more flavour and aroma fro them.
I use around 400g in a 21 litre IPA. So would add a bit more on top for a dipa.
For your batch size I'd go at least 200g probably leaning towards 300g.
That'd include dry hopping.
Hit it with around 50 IBM at 60 mins of a cheap hop like Columbus and then add hull melon, mandarina Bavaria and citra in the last 15 to whirlpool for the other 50 ibu.
Then dry hop with 30 grams of each.

What a coincidence, I brewed a "German IPA/pale ale/whatever you call it" with mainly Mandarina+Melon hops a couple of days ago. It's now happily bubbling in the fermenter. We'll see how it turns out in a month.
Here's my complete recipe, it's not a DIPA, but maybe it will give you an idea:

Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 25 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 30 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.046
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 5.57%
IBU (tinseth): 37.45 (Actual IBU will be higher, around 50 because of zero minute additions)
SRM (morey): 6.29

FERMENTABLES:
4 kg - German - Pale Ale (74.8%)
500 g - German - Munich Light (9.3%)
500 g - German - Pilsner (9.3%)
150 g - German - CaraMunich II (2.8%)
100 g - German - CaraRed (1.9%)
100 g - German - Melanoidin (1.9%)

HOPS:
10 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 16.87
15 g - Perle, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.2, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 12.97
15 g - Perle, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.2, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 6.43
15 g - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.75, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 1.18
15 g - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.75, Use: Aroma for 0 min
30 g - Huell Melon, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.2, Use: Aroma for 0 min
30 g - Mandarina Bavaria, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Aroma for 0 min
70 g - Huell Melon, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.2, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
70 g - Mandarina Bavaria, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

What a coincidence, I brewed a "German IPA/pale ale/whatever you call it" with mainly Mandarina+Melon hops a couple of days ago. It's now happily bubbling in the fermenter. We'll see how it turns out in a month.
Here's my complete recipe, it's not a DIPA, but maybe it will give you an idea:

Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 25 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 30 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.046
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 5.57%
IBU (tinseth): 37.45 (Actual IBU will be higher, around 50 because of zero minute additions)
SRM (morey): 6.29

FERMENTABLES:
4 kg - German - Pale Ale (74.8%)
500 g - German - Munich Light (9.3%)
500 g - German - Pilsner (9.3%)
150 g - German - CaraMunich II (2.8%)
100 g - German - CaraRed (1.9%)
100 g - German - Melanoidin (1.9%)

HOPS:
10 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 16.87
15 g - Perle, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.2, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 12.97
15 g - Perle, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.2, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 6.43
15 g - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.75, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 1.18
15 g - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.75, Use: Aroma for 0 min
30 g - Huell Melon, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.2, Use: Aroma for 0 min
30 g - Mandarina Bavaria, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Aroma for 0 min
70 g - Huell Melon, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.2, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
70 g - Mandarina Bavaria, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

This looks nice! Unfortunately I don't have enough malts for that kind of wider maltbase, but I hope I'll do good with pale ale and cara malts too :\ Also thought about making it around 7% instead of 9,5% I had in mind.

I check my freezer and it seems I got loads of centennial and nelson sauvin left so might use one of those.

So I brewed this one and as an impatient person I tasted the beer after it had sat in the bottle for 5 days. The result: little to none taste of hops.

I hopped the beer as follows:

60min:
20g Nelson Sauvin

30min:
15g Huell Melon
15g Mandarina Bavaria
15g Citra

5-0min:
10g Huell Melon
10g Mandarina Bavaria
10g Citra

Dryhop (7 days on secondary):
10g Huell Melon
10g Mandarina Bavaria
10g Citra

Batch size was only 6,5 liters (1,71 gallons)

How come the hope aromas disappeared? Brewersfriend gave me around 156 IBU estimate before dry hopping. Any suggestions for better hopping? :D

So I brewed this one and as an impatient person I tasted the beer after it had sat in the bottle for 5 days. The result: little to none taste of hops.

I hopped the beer as follows:

60min:
20g Nelson Sauvin

30min:
15g Huell Melon
15g Mandarina Bavaria
15g Citra

5-0min:
10g Huell Melon
10g Mandarina Bavaria
10g Citra

Dryhop (7 days on secondary):
10g Huell Melon
10g Mandarina Bavaria
10g Citra

Batch size was only 6,5 liters (1,71 gallons)

How come the hope aromas disappeared? Brewersfriend gave me around 156 IBU estimate before dry hopping. Any suggestions for better hopping? :D

It's not the hop schedule I'd use but it definitively should be hoppy. Couple of things that could help: add just a hint of gypsum, and wait till it carbonates in the bottle (the aroma has to raise to your nostrils!).

I dry hopped mine with 140g dry hops (70g Mandarina and 70g Melon). No hop aroma. Almost nothing.
I'm very disappointed with these hops, I had the same disappointment with Polaris hops last year.
I'll stick with classic American hops for IPA's (and Galaxy of course :) ) and save German hops for lagers...

Huell Melon Kolsch i made last summer.. was NOTHING but MELON.. !!

i dont think your goin to get "intense tangerine/citrusy taste." with the Huell
In fact.. it may actually get severely lost.. the flavor and aroma is real subtle..

I dry hopped mine with 140g dry hops (70g Mandarina and 70g Melon). No hop aroma. Almost nothing.
I'm very disappointed with these hops, I had the same disappointment with Polaris hops last year.
I'll stick with classic American hops for IPA's (and Galaxy of course :) ) and save German hops for lagers...

I'm a bit surprised by that. I made an IPA with Mandarina Bavaria and El Dorado three years ago. Most of the late additions and dry hop were MB. The beer had a really distinctive tangerine flavour with no grapefruit or resin, and even fairly little citrus to it. It was pretty fruity overall. Was the batch of hops fresh? Maybe I had a really good batch considering that the UK is fairly close to Germany.

Mandarina was 2015 crop (but stored in original vacuum package in the freezer) and Melon was 2016 crop. Maybe they were subpar quality to begin with? I wasn't very impressed with other hops (including C hops) of the particular supplier either...
But Polaris was from another supplier.
My IPA's brewed with American hops come out excellent, so I'm pretty sure that there are no problems in my porcess.

I am after the same flavors. I currently have an IPA made with mandarina/galaxy/lemon drop bittered with exp7270. Have high hopes

Latest posts

Back