Thought it did not go smoothly...apparently it did! And first 10 gal experience.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch171

Reaction score
Ok I learned and ran into a few things on this my first 10 gallon batch.

I used a bigger cooler but had to make my manifold smaller.

24 lbs in too small of a cooler will get stuck.

I also had bought pre crushed grain that was crushed a little finer than I am use to using.

So I ended up having to scoop strain syphon after letting settle, to get the wort off of the mash.

Ok so I ran out of time and had to do the boil the next morning. Everything went well, I upped my hop amount for the fun of it. One thing I really like about doing a 10 gal batch in a keggle vrs. a 5gal batch in a 7 gal kettle, is less of a worry about boiling over. This was my first batch that did not boil over.

So everything is great I remembered my IC and the finings. Then came time to drain off the wort. I was excited because this seemed like an easy thing to do compared to what I had to do before. Nope got stuck a bunch. The hops I was using were from a friend and apparently a male is nearby and they had seeds. So it took forever to drain it off.

I thought through the funny mash happenings and having to add more water after the mash I thought I was going to come in under my anticipated OG. But it came out above and I am looking at a 6.5 abv IPA at 72 IBUs all Nugget hops. I was aiming for around 6.3 abv so not a huge change.

But anyway I thought I would share proof that RDWHAHB and "It wants to be beer" are true statements.

At least so far...

Congrats. I just did my first 10 gal batch last weekend hit a few hurdles as well. My second (and only occasionally used) Bayou Classic propane burner had the regulator crap out for the fourth time. It was a brand new regulator from the factory to replace the previous regulator that crapped out (after only one brew). Same propane tank, same process, one of them is a workhorse and the other is total junk.

Follow through, I have no infection. And the gravity is reading 1.011 I was going for 1.014 but I live a dryer beer so I am happy.

I am surprised it is already there though. I pitched on the 21st and today is the 24th. This is the first time using Nottingham so maybe I am just not use to such a fast yeast. I was away on the 21st and 22nd so I thought maybe it just hadn't started yet yesterday and today I was concerned. So tonight I got the hydrometer out to check and it was already done.

I had the batch split between a SS 11 gal keg and a 5 gal bucket to prevent a mess during fermentation. So tonight I racked the bucket's contents into the keg. I then used some CO2 to purge the keg and left the air lock on after doing so. I will let it set until probably May 5th which is 14 days from the pitching date. Then it will go into two 5 gal cornies. The keg it is in now is non operational as a serving keg, but is used for wine/beer fermentation.

Let me know if anything sounds off.

Back