Thought I knew the styles I liked until....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sithdad

Reaction score
I tried an IPA on tap at my lhbs. About a year ago I tried a DFH 60' and I got 2 sips out of it and dumped it. It was making me feel nauseous. I hadn't touched an IPA since. I figured they pretty much all tasted the same. For some reason I decided to try the one at the homebrew store and I was very pleasantly surprised. I really liked it. It tasted nothing like the DFH 60'. One of the guys at the homebrew store suggested I pick up Yard's IPA, which I did. Another great beer. Now I'm going to have to consider making an IPA. Yay (for a new beer to try) and damn (I've already got so many I want to make).

Oh, on a side note. Nor'easter in October sucks. 12" of snow and no power for 32 hours.

I don't know why the DFH 60min would have made you sick, maybe it was infected or expired, that is one of my favorite IPA's, but I urge you not to give up on them (and it sounds like you haven't), IPA's can be extremely complex and unique, there's a beer for everyone, have fun looking. :mug:

60 is one of my favorite IPAs when fresh. Different strokes. I don't like a lot of IPA's either. The style can vary quite a bit with infinite combos of hops.

60 is one of my favorite IPAs when fresh. Different strokes. I don't like a lot of IPA's either. The style can vary quite a bit with infinite combos of hops.

I love many IPAs, 60 just isn't one of 'em. Too sweet? I'm not sure what it is to be honest. Continuous hopping is a neat idea, but I'd rather have something burst hopped (and I'd certainly rather judiciously apply my OWN hops that way).

I keep giving the 60 and 90 minutes a whirl and my opinion changes every time. My first few trials I didn't like so much, however, after trying the 90 again this past week I love it. I have a 60 waiting to be tried and also was lucky enough to come across two 120 minutes, so I will be going up the ladder soon!

If you can, try White Rajah by the Brew Kettle in Strongsville Ohio, it has strong grapefruit aromas and hints of mango and lemon peel, also one of my favorites. Founder's wet hopped harvest ale is another fantastic IPA.

I am sorry that one beer kept you away from a whole style of beers for a whole year. Vast range of showcases in the style, dive in and explore its various exhibits.

I think stone ipa is disgusting but the hoppy boulevard tank 7 and boulevard white ipa collaboration#2 are two awesome hoppy beers.

IPAs seem to either be really good, or not good at all.

Seems many brewerys are so hooked on hop bombs and then call them IPAs. If you can manage to find Knuckle Sandwich from Bootleggers Brewery you'll be ruined for life.

It is quite possibly the best beer I've ever experienced. Sorta ruined me on lots of other IPAs. That being said though, I think you'll have better luck getting plutonium unless you live at the brewery. It goes QUICK.

I went through a similar progression Sithdad. I really can't stand the IPA's that seem to only care about how high they can get the IBU's. But once I realized that wasn't everybody, I started to find some I truly enjoy and even started making them. My favorite by far is Ithaca Flower Power. That is an AWESOME beer that's not trying to do anything other than taste amazing.

I can't get enough of DFH 90 min. Even my non-beer drinking roomie liked it and asked for a few more sips. 60min on the other hand has never done it for me. Maybe its because I started out on the 90 and the 60 just isn't hoppy enough. I am still trying to get my hands on a 120 minute. That being said, I haven't come across an IPA that I haven't liked yet.

bigbeergeek said:
I love many IPAs, 60 just isn't one of 'em. Too sweet? I'm not sure what it is to be honest. Continuous hopping is a neat idea, but I'd rather have something burst hopped (and I'd certainly rather judiciously apply my OWN hops that way).

I like them with big aroma. A lot of them don't have enough for me. Headhunter and West Coast IPA are up there for me. Honestly I think people are getting old 60. It doesn't age well.

We got a 6'r of Harpoon IPA 2 weeks ago that was out of date at 9/15/11. I think it tasted better,with more orange notes. That was the first thing even my wife noticed. But I too like the DFH 90min.

Latest posts

Back