This would have made voting so much easier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another reason not to vote for Obama. A playoff system would ruin the fun of the season. The BCS system as imperfect as it might be adds drama to college football that is missing in pro-football.

Another reason not to vote for Obama. A playoff system would ruin the fun of the season. The BCS system as imperfect as it might be adds drama to college football that is missing in pro-football.

I say it makes it more fun for more teams and after the season is over, its crazy fun time.:ban:

Well it might be fun if the Big 10 had a championship game and then they did 2 semi-finals and a final game amoung the top 4 conferences. They could even work those semi-finals into the regular bowl games so that Big 10 vs Pac 10 Rose Bowl was semi-final 1 winner plays Big 12 vs SEC champ Cotton Bowl winner, that way there would only have to be one extra game.

After the season is over the athletes have final exams and stuff - they're students. Can't drag the season out.

The only problem with that format is that it means there are only 4 "real" conferences anymore that could have a theoretical chance of winning the national title. I would still use the BCS system to pick the top 4 teams.

I do think that the Big televen should have a championship game, but if they don't want to, I think it only hurst them as a conference in the long run.

+1 on having the Rose/Cotton/Fiesta/etc as the playin games for the title

But you gotta admit that its pretty cool in the BCS system how the rankings change from week to week - it makes games more interesting than they are in the NFL.

Take last weekend for example - Texas and Texas Tech. Amazing football game, very exicinting and great finish. A heartbreaker for Texas fans for sure, but not only Texas and Texas Tech fans are interested, Alabama fans are interested 'cause can TT knock Texas out of #1 ? Penn State fans are interested cause they're worried TT will jump them with a win coming up this weekend, etc...

Having a weekly ranking and determining 1 & 2 that way adds a lot to the season.

But the idea of having a playoffs could be cool as long as it was made from the regular bowl games and just have the winner of which ever 2 bowl games it happened to be whatever year like Cotton vs Sugar, or Rose vs Orange, whatever... basically just don't decide 1 & 2 till after bowl season is over and then have the championship game.

Ya, that is kind of the "plus 1" system some people like rather than a true playoff. The "plus one" is they take one more poll after the bowl games are over and then take the #1 and #2 teams from that poll and make them play.

I like the playoff a little better, but both are good. If I had my way I would keep the BCS ranking exactly the same as they are now, except the top 4 BCS teams get put in the playoff and are used as the seedings (#1vs#4, #2vs#3). You still get the excitement of the ranking changing every week, but instead of going for the top 2 spots, you are going for the top 4.

He is right. The purpose of a season of a sport is to be the best. The way you determine the best is take a handful of the best from across the country, put them together in a winner take all system, and whoever is left standing at the end is the best. College football is severely lacking in this.

My question is how do you determine what teams make it to the playoffs? Are we just going to have the same argument about some team that is deserving of at least making the playoffs and gets left out?

My question is how do you determine what teams make it to the playoffs? Are we just going to have the same argument about some team that is deserving of at least making the playoffs and gets left out?

You determine who gets in to the 'playoffs' by winning your conference. If you have to create 1 - 2 wildcard spots so non-conference winners get in..so be it.

Every conference needs to have a conference champion. The reason some (Big 10 & PAC 10) don't now is that they know it could hurt the entire conference by having that extra game and possilby jeapordizing a big bowl bid. But if there were a playoff that awarded a spot to the conference champion they would have the confrence title game.

Even high school athletics have a playoff system. Win and your in. It isn't a diffcult concept. The polls have turned college football into an ice skating competition. Arbitrary voting for a score based sport. Silly !!

I'd love a playoff system, but it would be hard to pull off. I say you just keep the current BCS rankings and work off those with the four major bowls acting as playoff games.

Of course, college presidents would yell all about the missed class time and the length of the season. What they fail to tell you is football players miss less class time than any athletes and the bowls are largely played during semester break. What the presidents really mean is they don't want to lose the millions that come with bowls.

In my opinion, the best sports event of the year is March Madness. You can't beat the drama of the win or go home tourney. This is what college football needs - not computers and the 'coaches' filling out surveys. You know it's the SID anyway.

Back