This may be my best batch ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smorris

Reaction score
I just racked a partial mash pale ale into the secondary. It had a slow ferment (10 days) due to the cooler weather staying around 72 instead of the usual 77-80 in the house during the nonwinter months. A nice pale amber with a very mellow taste. OG was 1.054 and was at 1.013 when I put it into the secondary. I can't wait to see what this turns into in another 10 days or so.

7 lbs Gold Malt DME
1 lb Crystal 10L
1 LB German Munich

.5 oz Cascade @ boil and 30
1 oz Cascade @50
1 oz Cascade finish

German ale yeast - WLP029

It had such a clean cake that I was wishing I had another batch brewed up to just drop on it. But I did save some of the yeast and am going to try washing it.

How do you wash yeast that's already been used in a previous batch? Do you need to keep it in any kind of nutrient solution between batches? I know yeast has a dormancy period, but how long does that last before dormancy turns to dead?

wow 72 degrees is cool? im in VA and my closet stays around 64 in the winter and 70 in the summer. i always assumed anything above 70 would be bad, i guess not though. and your using a german ale too, thats some pretty hardy yeast, to work well at 80 degrees.

Back