This is my story....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_man

Reaction score
So my girlfriend goes out to lunch with her cousins to a local establishment called the Alehouse. Calls me up and says "hey, can you pick me up I won a giant jug of beer". Now I'm imagining that it's just a growler or something like that, so I'm really surprised when I get there and it's this huge 5 gallon-ish jug of home brew of almost beer. I've always wanted to try brewing beer and now destiny has arrived.

This is what I know so far.
-It's a brown ale style beer
-I have a sheet that tells me what's in the mash and boil. There are no instructions on what to do with this beer.
-we still need to add the yeast to it.
-put it somewhere dark and cool

so my questions are...
Where should I put this thing? I have a closet but I heard I should take everything out of there if I put it in there cause it will sink up the closet. (I live in an apartment)
After I add the yeast how long do I wait? when should I check in on it?
What temp should I try to keep it at?
After it's done fermenting how should I bottle it?

I may have more questions later but I wanna thank you all in advance for you help.

Well, first things first - you want to be able to keep it in the mid-upper 60's for temperature if at all possible - so if you have anywhere in your house like that -that is where you want to put it.

Second - you need to get some yeast in it ASAP.....like tomorrow at the absolute latest. Just go get some dry yeast from a Homebrew store - US 05 american ale yeast is probably your best bet.

How full is the jug??? Is it full right up toward the top, or is there a gallon+ of empty head space??? This will determine if you need a "blow off tube" or if a regular airlock will work ok.
How is it sealed?

To be honest, this is not the best way to go about starting homebrewing - so if it does not turn out well, don't be disillusioned by it.

If you get the above stuff done as quickly as possible, you have plenty of time ( 10-14 days) to worry about some of the rest.

To be honest, this is not the best way to go about starting homebrewing - so if it does not turn out well, don't be disillusioned by it.

This. To be honest, i am not even sure I would bother with it. If you really want to get into this hobby(and if you like beer, I highly recommend it!), get a proper startup kit, a good book to get you some pointers on your first batch (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009DH2PP4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) and have a blast with the whole process.
Getting a random jug of unfermented wort with not much to go on may not work out for you as a first timer.
Just my .02

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird contest. Winning 5 gallons of beer is great, Winning 5 gallons of wort requires a rather sizable parts list. Sure its not fermented?

Something just does not feel right about this.
What type of establishment is the Alehouse?
Winning a five gallon "jug" of unfermented wort with none of the necessary additional items is just plain odd.
The instructions are lacking.

Winning a 5 gal jug of beer is also odd. Given that a 64oz growler is good for less than a week once opened, 5 gal is gonna be tough in a week.

Agreed that if you want to get into the hobby of brewing, read through this forum and decide your plan of action.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Definitely it will be so much better to "discard" this prize, keep the jug ;) and start from scratch with home brewing! It's quite easy and fun. Results: amazing! Flavour and accomplishment.

yeah I'll admit I thought it was weird that they gave her a big jug of wort and not really how I wanted to start it myself but I might give it a go anyway.

But it does it did come with the yeast and plug with a blow off cap. She says all they told her was to add the yeast put the plug back on and it was good to go.

Thanks again. I'll keep updating the progress.

yeah I'll admit I thought it was weird that they gave her a big jug of wort and not really how I wanted to start it myself but I might give it a go anyway.

But it does it did come with the yeast and plug with a blow off cap. She says all they told her was to add the yeast put the plug back on and it was good to go.

Thanks again. I'll keep updating the progress.

Well, then get that yeast in there. Get the blow off cap on and keep in as cool as possible..... that is important. Like I said mid to upper 60's if at all possible.

Fermentation takes 10-14 days for sure, and you can honestly leave it sit for 3 weeks no problem. you will really want to do some research on the rest of the process. Check out a local homebrew store for things you will need to bottle.

Well, keep us posted?
Where is this place?

yeast is in and blow cap on, thanks Braufessor.

Since there is such curiosity on where this place is and gives such odd gifts as 5-gallon wort. I'll elaborate on that part of the story. In the small town of Moscow Idaho you find a place called the "Moscow Alehouse" formally know as the "Coeur d'Alene brewing company alehouse". The Alehouse normally features local and regional breweries. However, on this day they had their own how to home brew afternoon. Still available to see of their facebook page here

One of the many raffle prizes was one of the demos they made there earlier that day and that how a 5-gallon carboy full of wort came in our possession.

Well, that does make a little more sense. And if the yeast hasn't been pitched, then it's legally not beer, so the laws regarding what they can do with it are much more lax.

But yeah, scope out the forum for more instruction, or hit your local brewing shop, to get all the gear you'll need to bottle it.

This is definitely the most unorthodox introduction to homebrewing I've seen yet, but sure, we'll take it. Welcome to the hobby and to the forum.

Some resources:

General Videos of process:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/beginner/videos/

https://byo.com/videos

Good book - older version on line - I recommend you buy this one if you are looking for a good, all around book that also leads into all grain and more advanced stuff beyond what it takes to get started:

http://www.howtobrew.com/

This site is a great resource too.
This is a "sticky post" at the top of the Beginner Forum with basic instructions for extract brewing.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/beginner-extract-brewing-howto-99139/

Good luck

Keep it in a cool, DARK place. If your cool spot isn't dark, cover it with a dark tee shirt or other such thing. Then get to studying the process & get some bottling equipment. Here's an old two part bottling video I did a while back. Gotta do an updated one, but this'll give the basics as I do it.

You can see what equipment you need for bottling.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a pretty neat way to get into the hobby. Maybe it'll get you going with future brews.

How long was the wort in the alehouse before they gave it away? This would concern me even if they pulled a chiller out of the wort and handed it to your GF to take home and pitch later that day let alone the scene you're painting...

Here, you won this heavily oxidized wort that's been on the cold side for a couple days... try not to aerate it as you carry it to your car and drive it home. Oh by the way, learn how to brew beer before pitching yeast into it. It will wait....

I have different advice than the others. Mine is to not even go back to the alehouse for anything... not even to drink their beer.

How long was the wort in the alehouse before they gave it away? This would concern me even if they pulled a chiller out of the wort and handed it to your GF to take home and pitch later that day let alone the scene you're painting...

Here, you won this heavily oxidized wort that's been on the cold side for a couple days... try not to aerate it as you carry it to your car and drive it home. Oh by the way, learn how to brew beer before pitching yeast into it. It will wait....

I have different advice than the others. Mine is to not even go back to the alehouse for anything... not even to drink their beer.

If you go to the Facebook page of the place, they did a homebrewing class, and one of the prizes was to take home the wort. One would assume the wort she brought home was prepared that day.

And if he hasn't pitched yeast yet, by all means aerate and shake away.

Welcome to the hobby. Don't let anyone discourage you, you will have beer. And if you follow the suggested links above, it will be as good and it could be. Now, when you are done with that, go to your local home brew store and look around. Buy a starter kit there or like most of us from amazon. Read and brew. Clean. You will be cleaning a lot. It's actually what takes up most of your time.

Also, can we see some pictures of what you got going on? I'd love to see your new "jug". I'm assuming it is a carboy which is pretty standard, though buckets are cheaper and tend to have more room (head space is a concern).

Welcome to the hobby. Don't let anyone discourage you, you will have beer. And if you follow the suggested links above, it will be as good and it could be. Now, when you are done with that, go to your local home brew store and look around. Buy a starter kit there or like most of us from amazon. Read and brew. Clean. You will be cleaning a lot. It's actually what takes up most of your time.

Also, can we see some pictures of what you got going on? I'd love to see your new "jug". I'm assuming it is a carboy which is pretty standard, though buckets are cheaper and tend to have more room (head space is a concern).

I think some of the disparaging remarks are intended to NOT discourage him. Basically we are saying that if this turns out crappy, it's not his fault and he shouldn't be deterred in the least from starting a batch of his own and taking care of his wort on the cold side. I think the most important thing to convey to him is that this very well might NOT be as good as it could be... I don't him to mistake wort that was improperly cared for post cool, for an indication of how his beer will turn out if he starts brewing and shows some regard for the process a little more than they have.

You better start collecting bottles too if you don't want to invest in a kegging system...which you wont regret btw.

you'll need about 50 12oz bottles to fit 5 gal.

Youll also need to buy a bottling bucket, bottleing wand, racking cane, some tubing, a capper, caps, and some sanitizer at a minimum. This will probalby set you back less than $50 total

Hmmm...not sure they would have to worry about the beer being "heavily oxidized" or aerating it on the ride home if they haven't pitched the yeast yet. I know many brewers who routinely let their cooled wort sit for extended periods before pitching.

I'd say, as long as no wild yeast was accidentally introduced and the wort is now at a proper pitching temperature, aerate away and pitch those hungry buggers!!

FWIW, if you happen to know *ANYONE* who brews, having someone help you is priceless. I mean, HBT is great and all, but having someone actually help is worth a great deal. Not that having all the HBT-ers in your house wouldn't be helpful...or just downright scary...

Hmmm...not sure they would have to worry about the beer being "heavily oxidized" or aerating it on the ride home if they haven't pitched the yeast yet. I know many brewers who routinely let their cooled wort sit for extended periods before pitching.

I'd say, as long as no wild yeast was accidentally introduced and the wort is now at a proper pitching temperature, aerate away and pitch those hungry buggers!!

Well, you'll undoubtedly introduce oxygen after the wort has cooled and you're moving it around and all. This is usually not a problem because most people pitch yeast right away and they take up the oxygen during the lag phase. Otherwise, the oxidation can begin the staling process right off the bat. This is why no-chill brewers take such pains to transfer the wort almost boiling and remove headspace from the storage container... I'm sure you know some brewers who let their cooled and transfered wort sit for periods.. but we are talking days on end here, and we are talking about carrying this vessel in a car, bringing it home, etc etc. And who knows how it has been stored up until now?

Well, you'll undoubtedly introduce oxygen after the wort has cooled and you're moving it around and all. This is usually not a problem because most people pitch yeast right away and they take up the oxygen during the lag phase. Otherwise, the oxidation can begin the staling process right off the bat. This is why no-chill brewers take such pains to transfer the wort almost boiling and remove headspace from the storage container... I'm sure you know some brewers who let their cooled and transfered wort sit for periods.. but we are talking days on end here, and we are talking about carrying this vessel in a car, bringing it home, etc etc. And who knows how it has been stored up until now?

If you actually looked at the Facebook page he referenced, that day was a introduction to homebrewing class with with prizes, one of which was taking home the batch they made to ferment (which we can assume is what this is).

If it was brewed, transferred, and shook up in the car while taking it home and then the yeast pitched, that's beneficial.

So far the only issues I can see that would separate the OP from any other beginner is that a) he didn't have to prepare the wort which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it and b) he doesn't yet have the equipment to bottle.

Yeah. I don't know why people had to make such negative assumptions rather than just ask questions. Seems like an awesome prize to me!

wow... just read through the thread. What is up with some people on here? I was shocked at the number of people saying they would just dump it without giving it a shot. Is that really rational at all?? Bad free beer in my opinion is better than no beer at all. It could end up good, it could end up bad. If you dump it now, it's just bad no matter what. If you ferment it and it turns out bad, well you dump it anyway and end up with the same result.

As far as aeration, sounds to me like he took the batch home the same day it was brewed, so that aeration is beneficial. And as far as contamination, I would assume they sealed it somehow (especially considering it has to be transported). I see two downsides. One, is that OP has to invest in some bottling equipment. Two, is that OP has no control over how this beer may or may not turn out, but then we're back to my first paragraph.

OP, I hope this turns out great, and I hope it gets you into this awesome hobby of ours! Just keep in mind that no matter how it ferments out, you are still getting beer. a ton of free beer, which is awesome.

If you actually looked at the Facebook page he referenced, that day was a introduction to homebrewing class with with prizes, one of which was taking home the batch they made to ferment (which we can assume is what this is).

If it was brewed, transferred, and shook up in the car while taking it home and then the yeast pitched, that's beneficial.

So far the only issues I can see that would separate the OP from any other beginner is that a) he didn't have to prepare the wort which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it and b) he doesn't yet have the equipment to bottle.

First of all, I missed where he said he got yeast in there... I thought at the time of my post he still hadn't. But still... His GF was there at lunch time on the 26th... he doesn't get yeast in there until 1am on the 28th. There's nothing beneficial about leaving cooled wort without yeast pitched for that long, especially when it VERY likely hasn't been properly cared for. Now, he has to learn how to care for his fermenting wort in summer temps WHILE it's in active fermentation. He likely has no swamp cooler prepared or anything else. He's basically been handed something with the wick lit and is expected to learn what to do with it while it's burning. I'm not one of the ones who said to dump it, of course I'd take a chance with it. I just don't want him to be turned off from the hobby it turns out to be oxidized or he has problems with fermentation etc. Half the people on this forum have trouble with batch number 1 after having surfed this site for months and having read "How to Brew" etc... I was merely telling him to not expect great things from this experience and to join us, read some books, listen to some podcasts, and start the hobby that he's always wanted to start the right way - at his own pace. There are just too many wildcards here.

yeast is in and blow cap on, thanks Braufessor.

Since there is such curiosity on where this place is and gives such odd gifts as 5-gallon wort. I'll elaborate on that part of the story. In the small town of Moscow Idaho you find a place called the "Moscow Alehouse" formally know as the "Coeur d'Alene brewing company alehouse". The Alehouse normally features local and regional breweries. However, on this day they had their own how to home brew afternoon. Still available to see of their facebook page here

One of the many raffle prizes was one of the demos they made there earlier that day and that how a 5-gallon carboy full of wort came in our possession.

What kind of yeast did you put in? How will you be keeping the fermenting wort at the proper temperature during fermentation? If you haven't done it yet, you might be able to wrangle together a swamp cooler or something..

First of all, I missed where he said he got yeast in there... I thought at the time of my post he still hadn't. But still... His GF was there at lunch time on the 26th... he doesn't get yeast in there until 1am on the 28th. There's nothing beneficial about leaving cooled wort without yeast pitched for that long, especially when it VERY likely hasn't been properly cared for. Now, he has to learn how to care for his fermenting wort in summer temps WHILE it's in active fermentation. He likely has no swamp cooler prepared or anything else. He's basically been handed something with the wick lit and is expected to learn what to do with it while it's burning. I'm not one of the ones who said to dump it, of course I'd take a chance with it. I just don't want him to be turned off from the hobby it turns out to be oxidized or he has problems with fermentation etc. Half the people on this forum have trouble with batch number 1 after having surfed this site for months and having read "How to Brew" etc... I was merely telling him to not expect great things from this experience and to join us, read some books, listen to some podcasts, and start the hobby that he's always wanted to start the right way - at his own pace. There are just too many wildcards here.

Many beginners also start with the godawful instructions that come with some equipment kits or ingredient kits.

And assuming, of course, that the people who held this class knew what they were doing, and clean and sanitize everything properly before handing off a sealed fermenter to someone else, a day and a half without pitching, while yeah, not the best idea in the world, is also far from the end of the world.

I'll agree, there's a bunch of abnormal wild cards here. And I'm also firmly behind following through. I'd very much doubt that this would be the best beer ever. But there's no reason, out of what we've been told, that it can't taste at least halfway decent.

When your first post on this thread contains:

...that's coming on a bit strong when it's really not called for and projecting some sort of major problem where there really isn't one.

It sounds to me like the place did absolutely nothing wrong outside of throwing someone to the wolves, and had the OP been at the class, he'd probably have had his questions answered already.

I was shocked at the number of people saying they would just dump it without giving it a shot.

And I was shocked when I only counted two people actually saying that. :p

Edit: This probably isn't the *ideal* way to get into the hobby, but I would still let it ride and see what happens. It might actually turn out good!

I enjoy the the bickering. You guys remind me of some old-timers on the porch.

OP, you got this man. Enjoy watching the yeast do its thing, and hope it ends with good beer. If, worst case scenario, it's gross... so what, you didnt brew it. It is not your fault. But now you know of HomeBrewTalk and there is a plethora of info here to help you with your first 'official' batch. Keep us posted! Cheers.

[The glass is neither half empty nor half full, but still has worthy contents]

And I was shocked when I only counted two people actually saying that. :p

Edit: This probably isn't the *ideal* way to get into the hobby, but I would still let it ride and see what happens. It might actually turn out good!

ha. re-read, and you're right. Only 2 saying to actually dump it. But 4-5 people chiming in with negative comments about why this is crap and how stupid it was for them to give him this prize. Kinda sets the tone for this new guy seeking advice.

All I'm saying is you can't look a gift horse in the mouth. It's free beer, and if somebody gave me 5 gallons of free wort today, even with everything I've learned, I'd be ecstatic! Hell, even if it were brewed a full week ago from an extract kit for a style I don't particularly like, I'd still say something to the effect of "hell yeah! 5 gallons of beer!"

And besides, many of us started off much worse off than OP has. Many people follow kit directions exactly. Even no-boil instructions, leave it at room temp, and bottle after 10 days. At least OP has what should be a well brewed wort, a carboy with an airlock, and some instructions to put it in a dark cool place.

ha. re-read, and you're right. Only 2 saying to actually dump it. But 4-5 people chiming in with negative comments about why this is crap and how stupid it was for them to give him this prize. Kinda sets the tone for this new guy seeking advice.

All I'm saying is you can't look a gift horse in the mouth. It's free beer, and if somebody gave me 5 gallons of free wort today, even with everything I've learned, I'd be ecstatic! Hell, even if it were brewed a full week ago from an extract kit for a style I don't particularly like, I'd still say something to the effect of "hell yeah! 5 gallons of beer!"

And besides, many of us started off much worse off than OP has. Many people follow kit directions exactly. Even no-boil instructions, leave it at room temp, and bottle after 10 days. At least OP has what should be a well brewed wort, a carboy with an airlock, and some instructions to put it in a dark cool place.

You are underestimating the effect of chilled wort sitting around for days without yeast being pitched and the subsequent handling of it by a guy who would have no way of properly handling the wort. The guy had to come on here to find out what to do, I'd at least have expected the place to give him a detailed instruction sheet. Again, I don't agree with anyone who says dump it, but I also think some people are being a little too positive on the other side saying don't worry it will be fine. I think the dump it guys are being too negative, but I think the "it will be great beer" guys are not understanding that the negative comments are to try to help the guy realize that this is not a good foray into the hobby. We haven't even heard back from the guy... for all we know, he's pitched bread yeast in it and it's sitting on his sun porch at 91F. There are just so many variables.

You are underestimating the effect of chilled wort sitting around for days without yeast being pitched and the subsequent handling of it by a guy who would have no way of properly handling the wort. The guy had to come on here to find out what to do, I'd at least have expected the place to give him a detailed instruction sheet. Again, I don't agree with anyone who says dump it, but I also think some people are being a little too positive on the other side saying don't worry it will be fine. I think the dump it guys are being too negative, but I think the "it will be great beer" guys are not understanding that the negative comments are to try to help the guy realize that this is not a good foray into the hobby. We haven't even heard back from the guy... for all we know, he's pitched bread yeast in it and it's sitting on his sun porch at 91F. There are just so many variables.

oh now come on. You're seriously just looking for things to pick apart. You are definitely a glass half empty kinda guy, aren't you?

This came from a homebrew class. We can only assume that people teaching homebrew classes (while may not be experts) know a thing or two, or they wouldn't be teaching. Also, from what OP has said, it sounds like they provided the yeast. Therefore, we can assume they gave him brewers yeast, being a homebrew class and all.

And what are you even talking about "chilled wort sitting around for days"?? They brewed it that day, in the class, gave them instructions to take it home, put the yeast in, put the airlock on, and stick it in a dark cool place. If you read page 1 again, he indicates that he did this on the same day he originally started the thread. As long as he didn't leave it sitting on the counter for a few days pondering what to do, it hasn't sat around for days. Now, he did indicate he put the yeast in at around 5am, so at the very worst it could have sat overnight. There are plenty of no-chill brewers who do this with great results. Any exposure to oxygen is not going to have enough time to do any kind of staling, but rather will be beneficial to the yeast.

As far as "sitting on his sun porch at 91F", once again, they told him to put it in a dark cool place, so they took care of that too.

Properly handling the wort? it's all done for him. It was cooled and sealed and all he had to do was pitch and stick it in the closet. Are you that guy on youtube that goes by TakeSomeAdvice, by chance?

I seriously don't see the downside to this, other than he has to buy caps, a capper, and get some bottles. But sounds like he wanted to brew anyway, so it'll be good for him to have. Matter of fact, I bet this beer turns out better than most first time brewers. Especially better than those that follow the instructions to the T on those no-boil all extract kits, and even bottle after 10 days at room temp. He's much better off than a lot of us were.

oh now come on. You're seriously just looking for things to pick apart. You are definitely a glass half empty kinda guy, aren't you?

This came from a homebrew class. We can only assume that people teaching homebrew classes (while may not be experts) know a thing or two, or they wouldn't be teaching. Also, from what OP has said, it sounds like they provided the yeast. Therefore, we can assume they gave him brewers yeast, being a homebrew class and all.

And what are you even talking about "chilled wort sitting around for days"?? They brewed it that day, in the class, gave them instructions to take it home, put the yeast in, put the airlock on, and stick it in a dark cool place. If you read page 1 again, he indicates that he did this on the same day he originally started the thread. As long as he didn't leave it sitting on the counter for a few days pondering what to do, it hasn't sat around for days. Now, he did indicate he put the yeast in at around 5am, so at the very worst it could have sat overnight. There are plenty of no-chill brewers who do this with great results. Any exposure to oxygen is not going to have enough time to do any kind of staling, but rather will be beneficial to the yeast.

As far as "sitting on his sun porch at 91F", once again, they told him to put it in a dark cool place, so they took care of that too.

Properly handling the wort? it's all done for him. It was cooled and sealed and all he had to do was pitch and stick it in the closet. Are you that guy on youtube that goes by TakeSomeAdvice, by chance?

I seriously don't see the downside to this, other than he has to buy caps, a capper, and get some bottles. But sounds like he wanted to brew anyway, so it'll be good for him to have. Matter of fact, I bet this beer turns out better than most first time brewers. Especially better than those that follow the instructions to the T on those no-boil all extract kits, and even bottle after 10 days at room temp. He's much better off than a lot of us were.

Ok, for one, lose the ridiculous attitude. You are taking this way too personally. Second, the brew class was held on the 26th. His GF was there for lunch, and he didn't confirm the yeast was in until 1am on the 28th. And yes, I'm sure they handled the wort properly... then gave it to him and his girlfriend and the poor guy doesn't know how to handle wort. So, yea, maybe he didn't aerate it too much and maybe he didn't leave it in a hot car, etc etc. Maybe he did. He didn't say they gave him yeast, for all we know he had to go out and get some. If they did, maybe it warmed to 90 deg before he got it cold. Maybe he brought the yeast home and left it on the counter until he pitched. Maybe he contaminated it when he pitched. He indicated he put it in his closet. Everyone's idea of cool is not the same. All i'm saying is that there are way to many variables here to EXPECT it will turn out great. Sorry if I think it's a dumb giveaway. The brewhouse should have done the demonstration and given away the equipment kit they used... something like that. Give the guy an ingredient kit in a box. Let him brew it. All these are better solutions than handing someone cold-side wort for them to take home and then learn how to brew. I'm not saying dump again for god's sake, I'm only saying that it is LIKELY not going to be his finest work. As in, don't be discouraged if the beer has all kinds of off flavors and stales after a week.

Back