This forum is making me doubt if I boiled my first two batches.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nonyaz

Reaction score
So I rummaged around the house and found this 5 gallon (what I assume to be enamel) pot.

m6CCFl.jpg

Now before I got started I read the thread about full boils, where a very appealing analogy was used... Wanting to cut me a slice of that, I put 4.5+ gallons in my pot as seen above ^. After what must have been over an hour I finally saw what I assumed to be "boiling" (not pictured), wort flowing up like there was a weak pond pump pushing it from the bottom raising a section above the water level around it. I put the lid on with the stirrer in there in an attempt to get it to boil "harder" (it didn't). It only ever boiled over if I left the lid on flat (without stirrer). In the end I felt like I achieved a weak 60 min boil and set out to improve it next time.

Second batch I taped two old pillow cases around the pot, and heat shielded it with some aluminum foil. I thought for sure this would dramatically reduce the heat being lost from the sides and allow me to achieve a raging boil. To be extra sure, I only boiled 4 gallons the second time. Just about the same performance in the end, with partially charred pillowcases and melted packing tape. Again, in the end, I did leave feeling like I achieved another weak, but sufficient boil.

(Floating thermometer is on the to buy list, I thought I could use my IR thermometer but it was giving me readings of 180's when pointed at apparently boiling water, which I attributed to it "reading" the temp of the cooler steam rather than the water temp. I also measured the sidewall of the pot, where it never got above 190's, so I assumed it was not an effective way to gauge the temp of the contents inside.)

Then, after these two batches are in the fermenter, I read this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/2-5-gallon-batches-minimum-pot-size-189373/ where people are struggling to contain boils of 2-3 gallons in 5 gallon pots and larger.... Here I am thinking I got away with boiling 4.5 gallons in a 5 gallon pot. Needless to say I now have a big "ut-oh" feeling about my first two batches, and I'm drawing a blank on what possible solutions are for future batches. My only idea is to find an oval pan to span across two burners...

If you are doing extract batches, then it's better to do a partial boil since your stovetop seems unable to get the full pot boiling (mine also, we're in the same boat). So, cut the boil size down to 2.5 to 3 gallons, then top up with water when you transfer to the fermentor. I do this all the time, you should be fine. Give it a shot!

Only a little bit. Most of the mass is in the liquid, not the pot. Changing the pot material won't make a big difference.

Do a smaller boil and top-up with water.

I have the ability to do full boil (8 gallon pot and propane burner), but I prefer to do a partial boil in the kitchen. I do a partial mash, and start off with about 3.5+ gallons in a 5 gallon pot, and achieve a decent boil. I add my extract with about 15 minutes to go (before the finishing hops), and it just about makes up the volume to the same as I started (replaces the boil off). Then just top off with tap water in the fermenter.

I boil 3 gallons at most on my stove, I have to turn to my turkey fryer if I want to boil larger volumes.
Even with only 3 gallons on my stove my boils are at best very gentle. But I still turned out delicious beers and have had numerous complements.
I think rolling boils are less important with extract kits.

I boil 3 gallons at most on my stove, I have to turn to my turkey fryer if I want to boil larger volumes.
Even with only 3 gallons on my stove my boils are at best very gentle. But I still turned out delicious beers and have had numerous complements.
I think rolling boils are less important with extract kits.

I have 2 x 20 quart pots that I can get a rolling boil with 4 gallons in on my stove. They are cheap thin stainless steel pots. I have an expensive 22 quart pot (thicker steel with thick tri-metal base) that I can barely get to a boil with 3 gallons in. The pot makes a difference.

Rolling boils are still important for extract brews as it makes a difference in the IBU extraction.

The beer is in the fermenter so you should just use these brews as a learning experience. I bet you still made beer so rdwhsbb

Back