This estimated OG in Beersmith 2 can't possibly be right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddiebosox

Reaction score
I am doing Jamils chocolate hazelnut porter recipe. I dialed in the exact recipe from his book into Beersmith 2 with my equipment profile, and set to all grain 5 gallon, and its telling me the estimated SG is going to be 1.082. That makes no sense. The book tells me it should be a SG of 1.066 which makes more sense since I am only adding 14 pounds worth of grains (and two of those pounds were crystal malts)

any idea what is going wrong here?

http://i.imgur.com/g1wXo1l.png

Jamil's recipes are written for 6 gallons post boil. Try that and see what your numbers end up at.

OK, putting it at a 6 gallon final batch and the numbers are better, but according to the recipe from his book, he says its for 5 gallons. he has a preboil volume of 7 gallons. and in his intro he says the recipes are set for a 6 gallons of wort in the kettle, with a half gallon loss from cooling and another half a gallon to trub.

OK, putting it at a 6 gallon final batch and the numbers are better, but according to the recipe from his book, he says its for 5 gallons. he has a preboil volume of 7 gallons. and in his intro he says the recipes are set for a 6 gallons of wort in the kettle, with a half gallon loss from cooling and another half a gallon to trub.

BeerSmith (and most brewers) assumes "batch size" means volume going into the fermentor.

I lose about a half gallon per carboy, so if I want 5 gallons of beer going into my kegs, then I need to put 5.5 gallons into the carboy.

I lose about a half gallon to my chiller/tubing/trub, so I need 6 gallons in the boil kettle after the boil is done.

The wort will shrink about 4% in volume from boiling temps to yeast pitching temps, so that means I'll lose about .25 gallons just to the volume shrinking, so I need 6.25 measured gallons in my boil kettle after boiling.

His recipes are for 6 gallons post boil, 5.5 to the fermenter, 5 to bottle/keg.

Also, your mash efficiency is set really high, that's probably where your additional points are coming from.

Back